Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Mini Split (Such a thing?)

Hello, I am in the market for a 2 zone 24K mini split. I have been looking at the various models and brands on hvac direct. Are there any brands that are clearly better then others? I have been looking at Fujitsu only because I see them installed a lot. Also, I know if its made in Japan its probably gonna be excellent (is this true?) I know I definitely dont want DIY because I want the lines cut to proper length and not have a big coil in back of outdoor unit. This will be installed on a the side of a brick house to cool a two bedroom unit approximately 1000 sq feet. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    I really don't like any of them but Mitsubishi seems to be a little bit better than the rest. My company installs a lot of Fujitsu systems and I hate their tech support, I've waited two hours on hold to talk with someone before. Everyone complains about the long wait times. I've had long waits for parts under warranty on the coldest days of the year when my customer only has the Fujitsu for heating. And they can be very difficult to take apart the indoor units to clean the black fuzzy moldy growth that builds up on the blower wheels of all mini split systems. I wouldn't want any mini split in my house, they seem kinda unsanitary, but Mitsubishi units are easier to clean in my experience and the support for their products seems better. 
    Zman
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    AFAIK 100% of the Mitsubishi documents are available online, for free, at http://www.mylinkdrive.com/, including the design software (Diamond System Builder). Some of the naming conventions are hard to figure out, but you'll have that with the imports.
    ZmanHot_water_fan
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Mitz or nothing in my book ,if your gonna spend the money get mitz as other have stated better tech service and when ever I ve called tech service was in touch w a tech in less then 15 minutes all documents are available on line . I know that the fujuistu are a little cheaper then the mitz but I feel a much better and easier wiring layout at least for the 1 or 2 3 zone then the Fujitsu’s that I’ve installed . I ve found the very few mitz that had issues that the few boards that may fail where not overly expensive and I feel I was able to get just about any parts with in a day or two . As for cleaning all mini splits are a pain and costly to clean indoor units . I always clearly tell customer that they require bi weekly filter cleaning and I always install anit bacterial tablets in there pans , use non prefarated tubing for drainage ,pvc not hose ,and be sure to wash your outdoor unit yearly to keep coils clean and operating properly and have it either mounted on wall or better yet on a raise standand anchored to cement lentils which I prefer . They work great but maintance is number one and without performing it there life span and performance will degrade . Another big factor is proper install line set pressure testing and of course properly charging the system and going through all start up procedures . They are great for those hard to cool great rooms or sun rooms but to do a whole home w them you would have to factor in a fair yearly maintance costs ,in most cases a properly installed central air conditioning system would out last mini splits w less yearly and bi yearly maintance and most parts on just about all residential ac systems can be found at most hvac supply house ie johnstone ,united refrigeration. Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    zoulas said:

Hello, I am in the market for a 2 zone 24K mini split. I have been looking at the various models and brands on hvac direct. Are there any brands that are clearly better then others? I have been looking at Fujitsu only because I see them installed a lot. Also, I know if its made in Japan its probably gonna be excellent (is this true?) I know I definitely dont want DIY because I want the lines cut to proper length and not have a big coil in back of outdoor unit. This will be installed on a the side of a brick house to cool a two bedroom unit approximately 1000 sq feet. Thanks in advance.

The installing contractor is the most important name to consider. These are relatively easy to install and even easier to really screw them up.

I've installed Mitsubishi and Fujitsu. Few issues with both. Mitsubishi's tech support is better when needed.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Agree Mitsubishi or Fujitsu
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588

Agree Mitsubishi or Fujitsu

Has anyone had experience with LG's minisplits?
    If so, what did you find? Build quality, operation, tech support etc?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment