Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hepex used in chilled water applications

Does anyone know what the cold limit is for hepex tubing? I have a water furnace that chills water and heats water. During the summer months I want to run chilled water but I don't know what the rating is for hepex or even if it can handle cold water.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Don't know for sure but your probably good down to +32 degrees
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Hepex is commonly used in snowmelt systems. Those systems get well below 0 degrees with no issues.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Canucker
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    upnor has an extensive manual about installation of hepex/aquapex, did you try looking at that?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    mattmia2 said:

upnor has an extensive manual about installation of hepex/aquapex, did you try looking at that?

https://assets.supply.com/ul_pdfs/712593_ownersmanual.pdf
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    mattmia2
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Could only find this rating

@160 psi 73F

best to call the manufacturer

Jake
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    edited August 2021
    It just gets more and more rigid. I have used in applications where it gets well below freezing -- inside and out -- and other than not flowing much water when its frozen solid (!) it's fine when it thaws. I'd allow a little extra length, though, because it does contract and you don't want it to actually pull on a fitting.

I don't know what the brittle transition temperature is, but it has to be pretty low -- I've not seen evidence of brittle behaviour.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2