Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Line on Floor Protection

Options
Captain59
Captain59 Member Posts: 1
Yesterday I had a new oil line installed on the floor. In hindsight, I would have chipped away a trench in the exposed area and just covered it, but I didn't think of that. I want to protect the line that could get stepped on and kicked. Someone suggested putting concrete over it. I guess that would be like a little speed bump? Any tricks or advice on how to do this? Or, is there another option? Thank you.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    A little speed bump will work -- but a couple of suggestions. First, slope the sides enough so you can roll a dolly or hand truck over it without great hassle. Second, if it were mine I'd slit a length of ABS drainage pipe the right length and, say inch and half or two inch lengthwise and slip it over the oil line, then make sure that that had an inch or so of cover on top...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    Oil lines "Should" be in a corner where the floor meets a wall.

How was yours run?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Hopefully it is a protected copper line with the covering on it. Mortar is fine. You could also run it inside electrical conduit or pipe.

Why dont you just chop next to it and put it in a trench?
    SuperTech
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Sometimes chopping is much more easily said than done. When @Charlie from wmass reran the oil line for Cedric, it had to cross a section of floor at one point -- no alternative. He did it -- but it took a good chunk of a day to get a trench in all of 4 feet of that 90 year old concrete.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,265
    Options
    Jamie and Charlie need a bigger saw. These guys claim 8 feet per minute with their blade.

https://diamondkingtools.com/blog/how-fast-can-i-cut-through-concrete-feet-per-minute/

I DIY.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    WMno57 said:

Jamie and Charlie need a bigger saw. These guys claim 8 feet per minute with their blade.

https://diamondkingtools.com/blog/how-fast-can-i-cut-through-concrete-feet-per-minute/

You Paying for it?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    edited July 2021
    Options
    A diamond wheel for an angle grinder will get down a ways and they are pretty cheap. The dust is horrific though
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,159
    edited July 2021
    Options
    The Skilsaw Medusa is my go to for precise and quick floor cuts.