Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Maximum temp of outside of pipe in steam system?

Options
bostondan
bostondan Member Posts: 19
What is the maximum temperature of the outside part of a pipe in an old steam radiator system? I need to place something relatively close to one of the steam pipes that is exposed from floor to ceiling, but don't want the item to melt.

Operating temperature of the material is up to 110 c. Will that be sufficient? If not I will have to find a different solution.

Thanks!

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    What pressure?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Is this pipe supplying heat to the surrounding space, or can it be insulated?—NBC
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    edited May 2021
    Options
    If this is a home heating system or similar the pipe should run around 212-215 (100-102C)

I have a home theater speaker sitting about an inch from one which is enough of an air gap to not cause harm, at least not for a long time. See if you can hold your hand by it at the same distance for a long time, you'll see what the item will feel etc.

Another pipe is fairly close to the condenser on an antique refrigerator so I'm wrapping the pipe with PVC covered melamine foam pipe insulation as I don't feel I need that extra heat being transferred into the condenser.

Material good to 110C should be fine right up against the pipe honestly.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaul
  • bostondan
    bostondan Member Posts: 19
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Material good to 110C should be fine right up against the pipe honestly.

Great, that is very helpful. The pipe goes into the wall at an unusual angle and when we moved in there was no pipe flange, just a big hole in the wall around the pipe. No pipe flange I have found would fit around this because the bottom part where it goes into the wall is too close to the wall and nothing fits.

I was able to design and print a nifty pipe flange and print it with my 3D printer, but the PETG filament is only supposed to be used up to 110C, which is why I originally asked this question. The flange I printed was made to be narrower on the bottom part so that it would fit.

I'm glad to know that the temperature range seems to be acceptable for this material, even if it is at the upper limit.

Here is a photo of it currently. This was just the draft print, but I plan to print it better quality and paint it.

ChrisJCanucker