Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I hate one hole kitchen faucets

archibald tuttle
archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
I get the convenience of single handle control (albeit they are seldom fun to service) but not since one of the earlier single handle control units like delta faucets that had down bolts for the two unused holes in typical 3-hole installation has there been a decent way to attach these faucets to sink deck because its all want this 'look ma no hands' approach without the escutheon covering 3 hole real estate. According to the modern paradigm, elegant fixtures must emerge just from one hole (even if you have hot and cold handles and a single control in separate hole, the whole point is that they are deliberately not spaced 4 inches apart so they don't look standard, because standard is not cool.)

in very few instances i have seen some of those independent knobs have a large nut to hold them down but as to the spouts or single hole units, they have these ridiculous plated metal 'c's or 'u's that don't work well to start with, are an incredible PIA to install and then proceed to rust into nothingness. now maybe there is some really high end thinker that makes these stupid plates out of stainless, but that just means their stupidity sticks around longer.

Are there any manufacturers you've seen that practice the old style connection, 1/2 parallel pipe on the two wing holes of the three hole installation even if that is in service of a single control/spout arrangement.

I could also conceive of a single hole approach that utilize more carefully brazed or solder connections that could allow for a single standard thread around the outside so that a nut could support the faucet with 360 degrees of bearing around the hole (which I get sticking to a standard but since standards aren't cool could always go up a parallel pipe size to afford more room to work since many of these counters are getting custom drilled anyway).

Not your typical question for heatinghelp i admit, but i know of no other confab with the extent of knowledge and focus across the industry so i start here.

thanks,

brian

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I find the Moen one pretty straightforward.
    They give you the wrench to snug them up.
    The flex supplies are pretty simple to connect.
    I have had to simply cut out some faucets...
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    My favorite by far is T&S brass.

But I couldn't sell the wife on one yet.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Got to admit I've not yet had trouble with either Kohler or Moen single hole faucets as to mounting them. Maybe I've been lucky?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    well thats two for moen. i'll take a look. after servicing their single cartridges in a multiunit for years i'm kind of lackluster on the brand. albeit they had the original all in one stem with no other parts. but it wasn't always the easiest to get out.

as to decent connections on the flex lines, i've seen a few that work but i just don't like that spaghetti. i like the 8" spread no burst to each side. plastic nut above the no burst on each side retaining the faucet.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    edited April 2021
    I found the single hole Kohler faucets  to be very easy to install. Personally think the horseshoe clamp with a single threaded rod was a great innovation.  

My only complaint with any of the single hole faucets is the goosenecks spray head tend to wear out prematurely
    Zman
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    I have not had a problem with quality versions of these like kohler or american standard. If the plate is rusting you have leaks somewhere you need to address.
  • mattmia2
    My friend had a moen from around 2008 that just started leaking out of the valve body somewhere and that seemed to be a common problem with that design. Maybe they fixed the issue. My opinion of Moen and Delta is that they have jacked their prices up for "premium" finishes and gadgets so much that you might as well spend 20% more for a kohler or american standard.
    PC7060
  • ChrisJ
    mattmia2 said:

I have not had a problem with quality versions of these like kohler or american standard. If the plate is rusting you have leaks somewhere you need to address.

I wouldn't expect any exposed part of a kitchen or bathroom faucet to rust, leaks or not.
    They're intended to get wet, constantly. It's a sink................. Yanno? :D

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    ChrisJ said:

mattmia2 said:

I wouldn't expect any exposed part of a kitchen or bathroom faucet to rust, leaks or not.

Not the plate underneath that holds it to the sink. if that is getting wet your faucet isn't sealed to the sink, the valve is leaking, the sink isn't sealed to the counter, the counter isn't sealed, or some accessory isn't sealed to the sink.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    mattmia2 said:

ChrisJ said:

mattmia2 said:

Not the plate underneath that holds it to the sink. if that is getting wet your faucet isn't sealed to the sink, the valve is leaking, the sink isn't sealed to the counter, the counter isn't sealed, or some accessory isn't sealed to the sink.
    That's true, sorry I misunderstood.
    mattmia2
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    wolverine brass faucets by far the best out there for installer friendly
    BrassFinger
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    ChrisJ said:

My favorite by far is T&S brass.

But I couldn't sell the wife on one yet.

My favorite is also T&S Brass and Bronze Works. Hope that you can convince any and all about this company. They are truly great.

Others I have found that are ok are Kohler, Delta,(some faucets) and Chicago Brass. There's another company called "Rohl" that is excellent but BIG $$$!

Moen has a great warranty but you will have to use it.
    Look into T&S Brass. They are worth a look.