Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No pressure

smoore11
smoore11 Member Posts: 1
I have a Williamson steam  boiler and it won't  build  pressure.   It worked well  until 2 weeks ago  then I lost pressure.  Not sure if the  cast is broken  though I see no signs.  No sign of  cracked pipes. Replaced pigtail and  pressuretrol which is set at 1/2 pound.  I've read about vacuum  problems  but am at a loss 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    A residential steam boiler and heating system shouldn't build pressure. If all is working as it should be, and sized correctly, the pressure should never go above half a pound. Which is not to say that most systems have oversized boilers, and thus the pressure does.

In this instance, though, if it was building pressure and shutting off on the pressure control before, and isn't now, I might be suspicious of a leak.

The most reliable sign of a leak is water use: a gallon or two per month is reasonable. A gallon or so a week is a small leak -- and anything over that is grounds for serous further investigation. If the leak is steam into the firebox -- a frequent type -- you won't see it inside. You might see it outside, as wonderful clouds of steam from the chimney. Another common source is a wet return pipe -- a pipe below the water line of the boiler. In some basements, some of these are underground -- and the leak may not show.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterManethicalpaulLS123
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    What @Jamie Hall said
    EdTheHeaterManethicalpaul
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828

What @Jamie Hall said

What @EBEBRATT-Ed said
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    What gauge are you looking at that shows no pressure?
    The original 30 PSI is almost worthless.

Are you having trouble heating the house?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @JUGHNE

You were supposed to agree with us above LOL It doesn't happen very often LOL :)
    ethicalpaulEdTheHeaterManGrallert
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828
    edited March 2021

@JUGHNE

You were supposed to agree with us above LOL It doesn't happen very often LOL :)

Agree with Ed! AGAIN!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    Fine Then!.....I agree with everybody above.....
    But now the OP is scared away and we will never know the outcome. ;)
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @JUGHNE

Looks like he is not returning
  • JUGHNE
    I said I agree with all of you guys....hopefully he comes back to answer my questions. :'(
    ethicalpaul