Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Locking an Iowa Hydrant

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    So no one can use it? A cable or small chain through the hole with a padlock, wrap it around the pipe
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Shackle
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    That's what the little hole in the handle is for -- the shackle of a standard padlock does through it and you lock a chain around the riser. Do it right and you can't lift the handle enough to get any water.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    edited February 2021
    How about slipping a cable that has loops swaged in the ends, through that hole in the end of the handle, wrapping it around the body of the valve and using a padlock to secure things? It might work better to swage one end of the cable after it's in place. B)

Yours, Larry

ps. Fun to see that three answers came in while I was typing!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    An old school pipe clamp that used hanger strap.
    The clamp went around the pipe, maybe 1 1/2" in your case.
    You had to bend it open to get around the pipe and then each end had a hole drilled in it so the flats would meet and the hanger strap go between the flats.
    Fashion one out of fairly heavy steel strap.

Pecmsg mention of shackle would be close to what I am thinking of.
    It has to be quite tight as just a little lift of the handle may produce a dribble that freezes...or you hit the sweet spot where the drain down port is open and it also supplies some water up top.
    A mess in the making.

Occupants at the cemetery stealing water, aye?? ;)
    Or just vandals?
    Brewbeer
  • I was hoping to avoid the chain bit, as twice the chain has been lost.
    Why didn’t they think of some solution when they designed it, such as A loop on the handle padlocked to a loop on the main body,(is that why they call it an Iowa Hydrant?)—NBC
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Zipper13
  • JUGHNE
    Thin strap iron with a few minutes on an anvil horn with a hammer to make the "C" shape to match the round portion of the hydrant. Then bending the ends to come together, drill a 3/8" hole for the handle/padlock. When not locked the shackle could rotate 180 degrees and be secured out of the way with the padlock secured.

You mean that Iowa doesn't worry about their water?
  • JUGHNE
    I see that ED found the proper one. My idea is similar only is in a 90 degree plane from that design....and is just about free.
  • JUGHNE
    They are in Iowa also....but too late..... these are buried already.
    Great selling feature if you need it...... cost what...maybe another dollar for that casting change?

Most people out here don't worry about locking the water supply up.
    But I am guessing Nickolas has a valid reason for it around Omaha.

Now I have to go look at mine, tomorrow in the daylight.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Brady 146124 Compact Cable Padlock, 5-Pin Cylinder, 8.0" Shackle Clearance, 1.31" Height, 1.25" Wide, 0.56" Length, Red

Something like this but you probably need a weatherproof lock
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Another approach if you don't leave a hose connected all the time is to put a locking hose bibb cap on the thing. Amazon has a bunch of different ones.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England