Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Confused about my valve.

Options
Hello and thank you in advance for your help!
i live in an apartment in New York where I do not have much control over the overall heating system. We live on the top (6th) floor of our building. There is a hot pole in the Bathroom that has a valve on it. The valve was continuously blowing steam so we contacted the super. He sent a plumber who put a new valve on. The new valve was worse! It continued to hiss constantly and spray even wetter air on the ceiling and wear away the paint within a day. 
Any advice on this situation would be appreciated. We have told the super and landlord about this and suggested that it may be a problem that goes beyond our valve, but have not heard back.
in the meantime we turned over the valve and it stopped making sound completely. The system still appears to work and the pole is still getting hot. 
I guess my main question is: is this dangerous? But also any other advice on the matter would be appreciated.
thank you so much 💌💌💌

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Not really dangerous... no. But annoying. And the fundamental problem is, indeed, beyond your control -- too much pressure at the boiler. Probably way too much pressure.

That hot pole is a pipe with steam in it, called a riser.

If the room is warm enough, I'd just leave the valve -- it's called, technically, a steam vent -- turned over and call it good...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    steamed_outIntplm.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    In the middle of the winter the extra humidity is a good thing.

Can you take pics of this valve?
    steamed_out
  • steamed_out
    steamed_out Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you so much for your quick response! It is really and truly appreciated. We hope that the building does something to address the underlying issue but...you know how they are. Thank you again- you made our day
  • steamed_out
    Options
    This was obviously from before we turned it upside down
  • pecmsg
    Options
    That's an Air Vent. Used to allow the air to escape and steam to get to that point. Obviously defective or a major issue with the steam in the building.

Pic of the water in a email to the building management should get results. Especially with Are you going to be responsible for any mold growth from this?

ethicalpaul
  • steamed_out
    Options
    Thanks pecsmg 
    you would think so...I’ve lived here since 2012, I don’t think they’re actually going to fix this issue based on past experiences. Pretty sure our only option is to move out or accept these conditions.
    In the meantime water started dripping out of the vent. It’s at least better because it can be collected on the floor instead of blasting and destroying the ceiling 🥴
  • pecmsg
    Options
    I might be wrong but is you turn that vent up is shuts down!

Also think its the wrong style vent but i may be wrong.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Actually for what they want, a plug might do just as well...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Intplm.