Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Correct vent for steam convector radiator?

Options
DPK99
DPK99 Member Posts: 14
edited January 2021 in Strictly Steam
I've been working on getting my old, one pipe steam system in better shape. Replaced some of the old failing vents on the cast iron radiators with Vent Right #1s. They seem to be doing the job well. However, the kitchen has a convector type radiator and the vent (Hoffman 4a) let's out a whole lot of steam. I've made sure that this radiator has a slight tilt to the valve, but that change didn't help. Perhaps the next step is to try a new vent? However, the specific vent currently installed, the Hoffman 4a, is stated to be a "main" vent that is rated for 10psi, whereas the other cast  radiator vents are 3psi and I believe that the boiler is even lower. Is the same Hoffman 4a the vent I need for that convector radiator? If not, what type do I need?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    Options
    If the vent is letting out steam, it's time for a new one. I the radiator heats as you would like, I'd just replace like for like. Don't worry about the pressure rating -- that's a guide to how much pressure they can withstand without going crunch.

On the other hand, if the convector or its feed lines hammer, try going with a slower vent.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaulDPK99
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options
    Hoffman 41
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com