Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Gas Valve Info - Fighting Home Warranty for Repair Job

MattMc
MattMc Member Posts: 3
I am looking for help finding maybe a manual or schematic for an old National US boiler model 190A-6. Long story short we had a gas leak from the gas valve for the pilot and had to shutdown the main gas feed. One week later after fighting our home warranty about the part we repaired on our own with a HVAC tech. One week without heat in the winter and a 6 month old baby, thankfully the in-laws live nearby!

We are now fighting to get our money back but they are saying this is an old system (True) and the parts are no longer available. Now that's not true, the tech just put in a honeywell valve, to replace the existing honeywell valve that was there. I have told them a new part is available but they call this a modification and it is not the manufacturers part.

My thinking is that National US probably never even had this valve, its not really integral within the body of the boiler. It was probably always recommended to get something that would interoperate with the unit. I want to send them some kind of manual that would prove this point.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    The good news is that you are right on most counts. The bad news is that it's unlikely that the home warranty will cover it; if it says anything in it about exact replacement or original manufacturer's parts, you're probably out of luck.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mikeapolis
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited November 2020
    Notorious for home warranty companies to try to get out of paying a claim.

Do you still have the original failed gas valve? If you have the model number or part number of the original part, especially if it was the valve that was in place when the warranty policy was issued, we may be able to establish that the replacement part is an acceptable replacement for the failed valve.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    Most manufacturers have a provision in the instructions and warranty that says that they reserve the right to modify the original specifications. This is so they can use a lower-cost supplier on new production runs of the same model number. That provision can work to your advantage if presented properly to the home warranty company. The part that was in place, when the warranty policy was issued, should be covered. If the failed valve is on the list of parts that the replacement valve is an approver replacement, then you may have a slight chance of recovering the price of the repair.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Probably a lot of small print in the Home Warranty contract.
    They had the opportunity to survey your system before accepting your enrolment.
    Would a home owner property company insurance cover any property without looking at it??

The HW probably is aware that many OEM control boards or many parts are not available under the original part number.
    Although many approved upgrade/subs are available. This may be their opportunity to deny any claim.

Do I sound cynical or critical of insurance companies??
    I have paid in 100's of thousands of dollars in the last 50+ years...easily. And looking back at the returns....well...conditions and minimums must be met, and also Co-pays.

There are a few policies I have that I am 100% sure they will pay out on......life insurance.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    You might try reaching out to Honeywell and have them confirm that the replacement valve was identical and a like for like replacement. They will keep arguing until they are faced with something irrefutable.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • MattMc

Notorious for home warranty companies to try to get out of paying a claim.

Do you still have the original failed gas valve? If you have the model number or part number of the original part, especially if it was the valve that was in place when the warranty policy was issued, we may be able to establish that the replacement part is an acceptable replacement for the failed valve.

The HVAC tech took it. All I know is that it was a Honeywell part. In hindsight I should have kept it, I had the same thought as you. I did take a picture of it, but it's pretty dirty.

• MattMc
    Zman said:

You might try reaching out to Honeywell and have them confirm that the replacement valve was identical and a like for like replacement. They will keep arguing until they are faced with something irrefutable.

That's a good thought. I have a picture of the old and new part. I will try that. I have also opened a claim with the BBB against these guys.

Fun fact - I had overlapping warranties because we had just renewed with a new place that we had uses in the past. Just left them because the rates kept going up. The new company fixed it in 2 days no questions asked. I am fighting the old warranty place for a refund of my contract since they did nothing.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    That's a pretty common gas valve. Of course, there was a simple replacement. The BBB doesn't actually do anything it's more of a marketing agency than anything else.
    You could drag them into small claims court. They may settle just so they don't need to appear.
    @Tim McElwain might be a good source for that old manual or to confirm the parts are interchangeable.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein