Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Outdoor Sensor "shielding"

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
I have a condo install for a wall hung IBC boiler.
As we all know the outdoor temp sensor should be installed on the Northside of the house/ building.
This install being a townhouse makes the outside wall a west & east facing walls...
East is not possible to get to.
I am concerned about the sun hitting the sensor late afternoon and giving a false reading.
I have not had this issue before...
Any thoughts on how to be shield this sensor?
TIA.

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I have used a white PVC dryer vent hood to just protect the sensor from the weather.
    If you had some stand off under the hood to keep it in free air and then drilled 3/8" holes in the top of the hood for upward air flow it might work out. Just an idea.
    kcopp
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Is there anyway to get it in a shadow, preferably low on the wall?
    I have had decent luck mounting them under a lower deck on the sunny side of the building.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • kcopp
    Options
    Thanks for a thoughts so far.
    It is SOG so it step right out onto a patio.
    I was thinking about a cover or something.
    The wireless would be a neat idea... just not sure on the cost.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    I know you said Patio if it was a raised deck you might get under that. How about up under the eves?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Can you get it under the soffit?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kcopp
    Options
    No. Slab on grade. Patio is on the ground.
    No soffit.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Under a soffit or as others mention a dryer hood. Tons of heat pumps out there with sensor Sticking out just under the electrical panel.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Isn't there a wireless option?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mikemac52
    mikemac52 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Can you get to the roof? North side of the old Chimney?
  • HotkutExarch
    HotkutExarch Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021
    Options
    In a search for an automotive multimeter https://bestmultimeterreviews.org/best-automotive-multimeter/? You better read this review to know which brand suits your need and budget!
  • kcopp
    Options
    No chimney. Can’t get to the roof. 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    behind the gas meter? Does it get snowed under? :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Can you staple the wire to the bottom of the siding to get it around the corner? I know it is a bit ugly. If you use round white wire, everyone will figure the cable guy did it :D . It is amazing what those guys get away with...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I assume that is a privacy fence from the next unit.
    Could you mount it on the pole facing the house?
  • kcopp
    Options
    Both good thoughts...
    Not sure the next-door neighbor would approve or the association would be happy w/ that.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    If you can't place the sensor to the north side, you'll have to put a cover (with air space) over the sensor. And you may still have to adjust the heating curve to dial in the sensor location.
    kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    put some bubble foil inside the cover, that will reflect the solar gain, to read just ambient :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Zmankcopp
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,695
    Options
    I'm honestly surprised there aren't more tools out there for this.

What about local weather data from WIFI for example. Insulated covers to shield the sun etc.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    kcopp
  • Doug_7
    Doug_7 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    I have great success for many years with a "Solar Compensated" outdoor temperature sensor used for outdoor reset on a pair of condensing boilers. This is a thermistor in a vertical white PVC tube on the roof that is exposed to free air and the sun 24/7.
    The "Solar Compensated" temperature in bright sunshine runs up to 6 or 8º F above the normal outdoor temperature in the shade, and at night runs 2 or 3º F colder than the normal temperature in the shade. Depends how bright the sun is and how clear and cold the night sky is.
    Bright sun has a large effect on reducing building heat load and the night-time dark-sky radiation increases building heat load.
    The "Solar Compensated" outdoor temperature sensor adjusts for both these effects.
    White PVC seems about right, whereas Black or Grey PVC would get too hot in the sun. Never tried silver.
    Conventional wall mounted outdoor temperature sensors in the shade can fool you, because they are only measuring the wall temperature in the shade. This would be great if conduction was the only building heat loss - but radiation - heat gain and heat loss also play a significant role.
    Just a thought you might want to explore.
    Doug in Canada

kcopp