Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Single or duel use of a circulator pump ?

stepup
stepup Member Posts: 6
Im new to piping a water storage tank , I think I can use just once circulator pump and two zone valves to switch between domestic hot water and for the heat loop seperating them with zone valves , do i need two circulator pumps ? Ty

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    Please. Do yourself and your family a favour. Do NOT use the same water for your domestic hot water and the heating loops -- if that's what you mean. If by "heat loop" you mean a heating system, that must be separated from the domestic hot water -- either completely physically or with a reduced pressure zone backflow preventer.

So you will need a separate pump... among other things.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    IronmanSuperTech
  • stepup
    they are separated heat and water for domestic, Im questioning useing two zone valves and one circulator pump one is for heat loop and the other for water heat loop ,this is for hot water storage,
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    One circulator and two zone valves will do just fine.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • stepup
    Thanks jamie , Its a well mclain CGa-4-PIDN 88k btu boiler it has a input for DHW /aquastat on the board , Im thinking I would use the aquastat conected to a zone valve to cycle it for hot water , and the other zone valve would be to the stat and the zone for the heat ,Im thinking i can make this work with just the board on the boiler ? Thanks for the help so far ,
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    You can really go either way with this. The cost of 2 zone valves and one circ with flanges is probably a little more than just going with two circs with flanges and internal checks.
    From the controls side of things, I would use a 2 zone controller with priority for valves or a two zone switching relay with priority if you go with circs.
    The domestic priority will give you great domestic water production and eliminate possible balancing issues which can happen when both call at once.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    What @Zman said. Do the DHW priority. If you have one good pump now adding 2 pump would be less expensive. Make sure both the heating loop and the indirect loop have flow check valves
  • stepup
    Im not sure about the control, Are you saying id need to purchase a different control to operate the two circs , What happens to the control the boiler comes with ?
  • stepup
    Im thinking the new circ control like a 503 would take over control of the pumps and i would just bring tt back to the boiler from the 503 control ?