Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Read it and (potentially) weep-PPA 2020 Wage Survey Results.

STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
edited October 2020 in Oil Heating
Here's the results of a wage survey by the PPA. Wages, benefits seem low.
A little too low to attract people coming out of high school, considering you can almost get the same wages/benefits after a year at a local convenience store chain in my area (Wawa).
More importantly, the top wages seem to plateau fairly low for people (top techs) that gain and earn so much experience and training and tools.
Luckily I work for myself.
How do the techs that are employees match up with the report? I'm hoping it's off on the low side.

Wage and Benefit Survey-2020
steve

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Looks low to me.

Workers at the corner store here make close to $20. HVAC technicians who can do it all are $35 and up
    STEVEusaPA
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    VA, like PA, can vary greatly from a metropolitan to a rural area.

We're in a more rural area and the cost of living is significantly less here (particularly housing), than it would be for the NVA, DC area. My house would be worth 2.5 to 3 times as much up there. But, who in their right mind would wanna live there?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEVEusaPA
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I almost fell on the floor. Southeast techs make the most in PA and I'd still be on the bread line and shacking up at the Y on Long  Island. I hope those figures are low. Maybe Western PA (Not enough responses to report) threw off the curve. 
    STEVEusaPA
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    You have to remember that to many people, the "maintenance engineer" is an HVAC tech (when he is not taking out the trash or patching drywall).
    I seriously doubt this data was vetted at all...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    unclejohn
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Wages in PA
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2020
    @Zman My understanding (and how I came to take the survey and receive the results), the survey was only sent to owners of heating oil companies in PA who are members of the Pennsylvania Petroleum Association.
    I do think they are reported a little low, if all companies didn’t respond, as I know two oil companies in Philly that are union and pay higher wages, benefits to drivers and techs.
    The report didn’t seem to include (nor did they ask) about sales bonuses to techs, nor did it consider smaller companies who pay drivers wages plus something per gallon delivered.

Remember these are heating oil companies surveyed and not large HVAC only companies.

@HVACNUT Western PA includes Pittsburgh so I was surprised at their wages.
    steve
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    very interesting.

Boynton Beach. Florida

Contractors that do not offer service contracts for A/C, appliances plumbing and electrical charge $100.00 per hour and pay out about $27.00 per hour with various benefit packages.

jake
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I need to move! 

I have several (Maine) master's licences. And over 15 years experience in the HVAC field, with a previous master's in Automotive Service. 

I hope to one day make $27/ hour. I'm the highest paid tech at my company. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Beats the $2.50 I started at.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I started at $5.50
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    I always find the pay structure interesting, it always needs to be correlated to the cost of living in the area. Top techs here can be 40 to 50 hr + benefits. We also have a co paid retirement plan. But, kicker is home prices are quite high, what might be 200k in PA would probably be 800k Plus here.