Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ventless gas fireplace used as gas insert at masonry fireplace

Options
ShannonLee
ShannonLee Member Posts: 33
edited September 2020 in THE MAIN WALL

So I have been thinking to install a gas fireplace for a while. I heard it would be easier to maintain than traditional one and would cost less money to run during winter season than electronic fireplace. Is it true? How does it compare to gas boiler?
I haven't used my fireplace haven't for years. The opening is 32" wide. See the picture.

At the same location under the fireplace in the utility room down in the basement, my plumber had already make an extension to hook up with gas fire place many years ago. But my plumber never really run the pas pipe from the utility room the the first floor fire place. I wonder should I call PSE&G to run the gas line from the basement to the first floor? How much does it usually cost? See the pictures below.
My friend want to get rid of his wooden ventless natural gas fireplace. He says the insert is made to fit into the wooden mantel and it actually can be removed and used as a regular fireplace if it fits my opening. The dimensions of the insert is 26 1/5" X 23 with a 1 1/2 lip on side and top. My fireplace opening is 32".
Questions:
#1 Can I just put this ventless insert into my fireplace?
#2 since insert is smaller, how do I fill the gap between the opening?
#3 do I need a permit to do this kind of job?
#4 what's price range to run a gas line from basement to the first floor living room? Should I call PSE&G or a plumber?
#5 Is gas fireplace fuel efficient to warm a place about 350 square feet where I happens to install a mini split with heat pump heating. How to compare fuel efficiency of heat pump and gas fireplace?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    I would NEVER Allow a vent-less fireplace in my home!
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    edited September 2020
    Options
    1. Your local code may or may not allow ventless fireplaces it really just depends. I would never install one, where do you suppose the combustion byproducts go if there is no vent? You can probably run a vent liner through existing chimney and do this correctly.
    2. How you fill the gap will be determined by the fireplaces installation instructions.
    3. Yes, you will need permit.
    4. No pricing discussed here. Usually the work is performed by a gasfitting contractor.
    5. Gas fireplaces are usually around 70% efficient. Heat pumps are 250%-400% efficient. To determine the cost difference, we would need to know your local energy costs.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    There should be a plug in the open outlet of that valve. The plumber should not have left it open like that.
    pecmsg
  • ShannonLee
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Zman said:
    1. Your local code may or may not allow ventless fireplaces it really just depends. I would never install one, where do you suppose the combustion byproducts go if there is no vent? You can probably run a vent liner through existing chimney and do this correctly.
    2. How you fill the gap will be determined by the fireplaces installation instructions.
    3. Yes, you will need permit.
    4. No pricing discussed here. Usually the work is performed by a gasfitting contractor.
    5. Gas fireplaces are usually around 70% efficient. Heat pumps are 250%-400% efficient. To determine the cost difference, we would need to know your local energy costs.
    Thank you for answing my questions. So if I understand correctly, I have to look up yellow page for " gasfitting service" to install a gas insert, not to call a plumber or PSE&G?
    Do you mean direct vent gas insert would be better and safer than duceltess gas fireplace?
    Does fuel efficency higher means saving more energy bill, how to know the differnece as heat pump from my mini split is run by electricity v.s gas? I attached the breakdown of my bill so maybe you can teach me how to figure it out? If I can run mini split heat pump to save my winter energy bill, maybe I don't need a gas insert after all?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    A ventless fireplace is spilling the exhaust into the room. A direct vent is a much better (and healthier) idea.
    At your local pricing, you would save~30% using gas over a heat pump with a COP of 3.25
    Some plumbers are also pipefitters. Most utilities do not do piping in houses.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • ShannonLee
    Options
    Zman said:
    A ventless fireplace is spilling the exhaust into the room. A direct vent is a much better (and healthier) idea. At your local pricing, you would save~30% using gas over a heat pump with a COP of 3.25 Some plumbers are also pipefitters. Most utilities do not do piping in houses.
    Thank you so much. I wouldn't know gas heating would save me more than heat pump. I assume I shall  utilitize my gas boiler as a main heat resource until I figure out how to deal with gas insert?