Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing residential hot water from oil-fired Weil Mclain Gold boiler

Options
crabbinglady
crabbinglady Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 1
edited September 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
I have an oil-fired Weil Mclain Gold boiler that supplies residential hot water and radiator heat. We are looking to convert to a hot water tank and remove the residential hot water function from the boiler. Besides capping off the residential water in/out pipes on the boiler, do we need to change any controls on the boiler?

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    You’ll need to disconnect the wiring of temperature control from the burner circuit. 
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    SuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    You don’t cap off both the hot and cold ports on the coil.
    steve
    mattmia2SuperTech
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options

Cap one, but leave the other open. Doesn't matter which -- but it's essential that one be open.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    I suppose you could screw the relief valve on one instead of leaving it open.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

I suppose you could screw the relief valve on one instead of leaving it open.

Maybe A relief valve -- but not the relief valve. That still needs to be at or very near the water heater itself, directly piped, with a free drain to atmosphere. So why bother? Put a stopper in -- maybe from a wine bottle? -- if the open end is bothersome to you...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    From the coil you are abandoning.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    A boiler like yours has a low limit control to maintain boiler water temperature. Depending on what controls you have the low limit may or may not be able to be disconnected.

If that's the case you have a few options. Turn the low limit down' leave it where it is, replace the control or install a relay on the line side of the control
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options

Cap one, but leave the other open. Doesn't matter which -- but it's essential that one be open.
    Isn't that what I said?
    steve