Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Turn off boiler for season at emergency switch or maintenance switch?

jjohnson191
jjohnson191 Member Posts: 5
Hey folks: Even though thermostats are down, my Weil-McLain boiler is cycling on and off -- I imagine to keep at a min temp? So, I turned it off at the “service" switch yesterday, but now I am not sure if that's actually the best option.

Should it be turned off for the season at the red emergency switch, the "service" (as it's labeled) or is there a third option I am missing?

Probably overkill, but I’ve attached a pic because I don’t have a ton of knowledge about these systems but I know there's no pilot on this one.

Thanks! This forum has helped me immensely over the years.

Best, James

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Looks like you have a hot water system.
    It also looks like you don't get you hot water from the boiler.
    That being the case then the boiler should not be cycling.
    I am guessing that the boiler control (Hydrostat) is not set up properly.
    You can turn either switch off for not as it does not matter.
    However you should have that control set up as you are using more fuel that you need to....
    jjohnson191ZmanSTEVEusaPA
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    Shouldn't matter -- if the boiler is wired properly, either should turn the power off to the whole show.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    jjohnson191
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    With that boiler and burner, I would recommend leaving it on. Maintain 140°.
    Especially if it's a 3 or 4 section. WGO-?
    With the QB burner, it's late 90's and those blocks are pretty tight. If it's not spotless when you shut down, whatever deposits are on the HX will get wet from condensation then cure like concrete when fired up in the fall. And the QB (discontinued) isn't the cleanest burner.
    What are you using for domestic hot water?
    jjohnson191
  • jjohnson191
    Thanks for the replies! Yep. Hot water's on propane. Heat's on forced hot water. And now that you mention it, this is first summer with the new hydrostat. Good to know it shouldn't be cycling. I actually didn't even know the thing was turning off/on until I happen to be in basement last week when it kicked on. It looked like the digital read out was keeping the temp around 170ish. I'd be lost without forums like this! Thank you!
  • jjohnson191
    Thanks HVACNUT. Water's on propane. I've burned through a bit of oil already - not much nut I'm a cheapskate. Would it be possible to turn it off and just turn back on every other week or so? Only because I don't think I'm savvy enough (I'm definitely not savvy enough) to adjust the temp to 140. If not, I'll leave it on. Rather burn the oil than damage the system
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @jjohnson191 said:
    > Thanks HVACNUT. Water's on propane. I've burned through a bit of oil already - not much nut I'm a cheapskate. Would it be possible to turn it off and just turn back on every other week or so? Only because I don't think I'm savvy enough (I'm definitely not savvy enough) to adjust the temp to 140. If not, I'll leave it on. Rather burn the oil than damage the system

I would just suggest that you have it properly serviced and tested first. Then by all means, shut it down.
    And read the Hydrostat manual. Take advantage of what it offers. Set up and wired for cold start, you wont have to shut off any switch. It will just sit and wait for a heat call.
    jjohnson191
  • jjohnson191
    Thanks!
    Zman