Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Proper oil tank venting...NOT

STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
Saw this on Facebook, guarantee this will be a first for you. The guy was actually proud of it. Any comments you can think of were already said.

steve
HVACNUTSuperTechEdTheHeaterManZman

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    First thing I thought of was Q-Bert. Then I got sad.
    STEVEusaPASuperTechunclejohn
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Didn't have a threader or a set of dies
  • CTOilHeat
    CTOilHeat Member Posts: 56
    I remember this being posted 3 years ago on Reddit. Same picture just shows the whole tank.

Here's the original post for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HVAC/comments/4mtq6m/crazy_oil_tank_piping/
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    To the installer,
    Much love.

Your supply house.
    ratioSTEVEusaPA
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    Just when I thought it couldn't get worse than using PVC...
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    SuperTech said:

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse than using PVC...

At least that won't burn.
    SuperTech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @CTOilHeat said:
    > I remember this being posted 3 years ago on Reddit. Same picture just shows the whole tank.
    >
    >

Nope. Different pics. No unions in your pic. Probably the same Knucklehead though.
  • STEVEusaPA
    The OP from where I found the pic just posted this saying something like "just got the vent put in before the fuel truck showed up".
    Definitely different pic, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's the same guy. All Ward fittings in my pic...that's quality...lol.
    steve
  • CTOilHeat
    CTOilHeat Member Posts: 56
    Same house, though it is a different pic. Oil level has changed. Same union in same place. Same brick work. Dual tanks. Ward fittings. Etc.
    STEVEusaPASuperTech
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    funny, it looks like a staircase for mice.

Jake
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 109
    Thems swang joints!
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    The driver that fills that is gonna love this one - not!
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    You guys understand "NOT!" died off 25 years ago, right?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • STEVEusaPA
    Everything comes back again...maybe we’re ahead of our time.
    steve
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592

Everything comes back again...maybe we’re ahead of our time.

It is possible. Maybe you'll start it.

But I doubt it. ;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    We all know it's wrong. But if you were the inspector and had to find a violation in the code what could you find?

Too much restriction is there but is that a violation?

No pitch on the fill and vent toward the tank would be my violation
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I believe in the electrical code world you could be cited for "poor workmanship" if nothing else.

Is there any such clause in mech codes?
    ratio
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Attention shoppers 1" ells and nipples isle 9.
    Canucker
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited July 2020
    JUGHNE said:

I believe in the electrical code world you could be cited for "poor workmanship" if nothing else.

Is there any such clause in mech codes?

Don't ask me to quote it, but I believe there is. I think it would be something about an unsafe installation.

Maybe this:

[A] 108.7.1 Authority to condemn mechanical systems.
    Where the code official determines that any mechanical system, or portion thereof, regulated by this code has become hazardous to life, health, property, or has become insanitary, the code official shall order in writing that such system either be removed or restored to a safe condition. A time limit for compliance with such order shall be specified in the written notice. A person shall not use or maintain a defective mechanical system after receiving such notice.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    The NEC actually has "workmanship" in the index with about 7 references. Even applying to data cables, never have seen that enforced though......obviously. Electrician may bring data, phone and TV home runs to a central location and then it turns into mayhem when "The cable guy" gets done with it.

When our state first initiated state wide inspections, starting with commercial installs, the inspector told me of a guy in the neighboring town. "Bob" was very handy at everything and was actually very talented, but never read anything resembling a code book.
    He was written up on this job, the inspector said he had listed 99 code violations and decided to make it an even 100 with "poor workmanship" as the finale.

One item was using Sch 40 DWV for conduit.....when Bob was told that the PVC had to be the grey type of pipe, Bob spray painted the pipe (and part of the building) to comply.

This was the wild west of construction at the time, Bob is not to be harshly condemned for his work though, he was self taught and helped a lot of people out with anything from windmills to lawnmowers.......is or will be missed by his clientele.
    CLamb
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @JUGHNE

One of my favorite NEC code stories we discussed in code up date classes was the fact that years ago the code did not prohibit electrical panels from being mounted in a ceiling. They didn't have to because no one had been stupid enough to try it.

Then someone did so they had to put it in the book.

No wonder the code book is about 3 times the words that it was in 1978 (my first code book) taking into account the increased physical size and print so small you need a magnifier to read it
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    I've heard for decades now that the bulk of the Code was closing loopholes & prohibiting stupid stuff.