Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Record-low cost for nat gas in March

Options
Precaud
Precaud Member Posts: 370
I just got my nat gas bill for March, and was shocked to see the cost of gas per therm was 10 cents! A dime for 100k btus. I've never before seen it that cheap.

Also for the first time in my experience, the cost of distribution and transmission (getting it to your home) was more than the cost of gas, by a factor of nearly two in this case.

Are you seeing the same in your area? I assume so.
1950's Bryant boiler in a 1-pipe steam system at 7,000 ft in northern NM, where basements are rare.

Comments

• Precaud
    Options
    And even lower for April; 3.3 cents per therm !! It's practically a giveaway.
    1950's Bryant boiler in a 1-pipe steam system at 7,000 ft in northern NM, where basements are rare.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    $1.37 here. I'm moving to Nevada.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Fuel oil in our area is way down, too -- about half what it was a year ago.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,247
    Options
    Both NG & electricity distribution& delivery are not going to become less expensive. So maybe energy will become too insignificant to meter?
    Precaud
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Electric rates did not drop in our area.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Precaud
    Options
    Nor here. NM's two largest generation sources are coal and nuclear, respectively. Gas and solar still quite small in comparison. A sad truth for the Land of The Sun.