Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My Boiler Broke - Is this a Good Replacement

Options
que718
que718 Member Posts: 1

My boiler broke. The guy who game said he wants to replace it with a mclain steam boiler model eg-40 125,000 btus. It looks like the old boiler, but I have no idea. Is this too old of a boiler to install now? Is there something better that will work here?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    The installer is more important than the brand name.
    Surf the "Strictly Steam" section of this site to find out new replacement steam installs that turned into "Heating Hell" types.

Pictures of your old boiler and all piping would get you a lot of input here.
    Where are you located?
    Do you have to replace it immediately?
    Ironman
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    The EG-40 is a very good, modern gas boiler. However...

Hot water? Steam? The EG-40 can go either way. However, the correct boiler for your system must be properly sized -- and they are sized completely differently depending on whether they are for hot water or steam.

The existing boiler may or may not be the right size for your application. Just replacing it with the same size may not be correct. Therefore, if "the guy who came" didn't do a complete heat loss analysis for your house (for hot water) or a complete survey of the existing radiation (for steam), he or she hasn't a clue as to what boiler is needed.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironmangyrfalcon
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,859
    Options
    This GUY, Did he measure anything?
    kcopp