Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Two Radiators on a single riser

mikeg2015
mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
edited April 2020 in Strictly Steam
I think I’ve seen this asked before. I’m doing renovations and splitting a room. I want to add a tee and street els. The combined EDR of the two will be actually just a little less than the current radiator, which is a little oversized anyway.

Assuming I maintain good pitch away from the riser, is there any issue with this?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    No, should be fine as the capacity is determined by size and EDR. However.. the trick is in maintaining the pitch on both runouts. Which is easy enough to do, once you figure out how to do it, but not quite obvious at first...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • mikeg2015
    To the right I’ll place a radiator in front of the window, so I need to be a couple inches further from the wall anyway. The room will become a master bath, so I’ll have a privacy blind or frosted glass anyway. It will also be bear the shower so perfect as a towel dryer/warmer.

To the left I’ll have a parting wall going up and a laundry room. I have a small radiator in my little entry way I’ve shut off and don’t need anyway that I’ll place there.

I’ll put straight radiator valves on each.

• mikeg2015
    edited April 2020

No, should be fine as the capacity is determined by size and EDR. However.. the trick is in maintaining the pitch on both runouts. Which is easy enough to do, once you figure out how to do it, but not quite obvious at first...

That’s what I thought. If i take off the existing angle gate valve and put a Tee there Facing perpendicular to the wall, then a street elbow to the right to a radiator under the window then a street elbow for the radiator to the left.

Shouldn’t have any issue with pitch.

As a bonus, the radiator I plan to use is in my front parlor and too small for that room (2-1/4 outside walls and huge windows) larger radiator will work well in a front parlor and it’s 6 section radiator will be about right for this bathroom with 2 outside walls and 2 windows facing and it faces NE.

Should be a fun project. Found a path for the waste stack to the basement. Will have to open the attic floor to run electrical and plumbing vents. Very satisfying to breath a little modern life back into these old houses.

.... The hideous brown will get repainted. Previous owners apparently wanted to hide their radiators.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Do something about that rug, too. I'll bet there's a nice floor under there...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Grallert
  • mikeg2015
    My first project today. There’s 3/4” hardwood. About 2”. Some of it’s been cut out for access under hte floor. The room the radiator is in will be a bathroom and gets tile, so I’ll salvage that floor a use it to repair the floor for the master closet (formerly an attached middle bedroom. I discovered the doorway last week that had been covered up. Not totally sure when 2 bedrooms were connected. There’s 5 bedrooms total plus a servant’s bedroom quarters in the attic.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    I love those old houses with the servant spaces and "back stairs". Enjoy it!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el