Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is life expectancy of ductless HP systems?

Just wondering what the average life expectancy of ductless HP systems?
Is one brand better than the other?
What is the best brand?
Daikin
Fujitsu
LG
Mitsubishi
Panasonic
Any thing that should not be done on the installation that will shorten a units life?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Assuming that it's properly installed and maintained, I'd say about 15 years on average. Just like any heat pump.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Most of the units that are sold are deposable . I would say Fujitsu is the best made after working on most , just a step better engineerined then Mitsubishi .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    kcopp
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Several parts become obsolete in 5 - 7 1/2 years.
    The salt air here on the East End .......7 1/2 years.
    SuperTech
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I have a time share at a condo that was running Sanyo heat pumps. No longer made I think Panasonic bought them out.

They went 20 years for the most part they have mostly been changed now
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    I think there’s no standard time span ,I’ve worked on a few that there was nothing I could due basically installed in wrong location not maintained by the time i started to work on they where on there last legs and only 4 to 5 years old threw in garbage . I had other that have been in close to if not more then 20 years still going some Sanyo ,Panasonic and mitz in all types of locations commercial-offices server rm and residential . I think the main issue are proper installation ,leak testing and proper commissioning and start up aside from yearly service including cleaning indoor fans and coils condensate drain and cleaning of outdoor unit and again check the system operations. It seems there a lot of install and never any maintance . Every one I instal I tell them up front that they must be cleaned and serviced yearly and if you wait to long you will shorten the life expectancy of your equipment and possible damage . As for issues in over 35 years of hvac and install mini since the first Sanyo can out think like 86 I have done for myself I have yet to have a total failure and only 1 or 2 units where I had issues w condenser fans or electronics in the condensing units and all in all I thought the parts where reasonably priced and where available within one or two days but these where mitz. Most that I run into that have issues where always installed terribly like a crime was being committed and they had to get away . I find it often cheaper to do a unico doing the whole home over a bunch of mini splits all over the place w hide aline more maintaince more of everything peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • clammy
    PS I use mitzusubshi hi output fi units always mounted on a stand not a wall mount and always w a additional surge protector to protect the electronics and as much as nobody does use a fuse able disconnect and I know no body wants to pay for fuses what else is new . The surge protector is important some manafactures require I think Fujustu does . That’s the only hp mini split we install and have been using them for over 20 years zero issues but we are men installing these with a lot of experience and we do not do drive by installs this is why we don’t have issues . Never send boys to do a mans work and never send a rube to do a mechinecs work in both cases there’s usually a issue and most of the time it’s not the equipment it’s the install . Peace and good luck clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Ironman
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    A lot of people think the only maintenance needed for these systems is filter and coil cleaning. I've seen systems that are only two years old and they full of black junk growing on the inside and all over the blower wheels. Doesn't seem like a very sanitary way to condition air.

As far as installation concerns go I would definitely ensure that a deep vacuum can be pulled during evacuation just like any other system. I like to use Nylog on all my flare connections.
  • clammy
    Have to agree w super tech on blower wheels and under the covers ,the dirtier the home the worse they get and if under high loads and intermittent use they do get disgusting . I tend to put condensate pan treatment pads suppose to inhibit bacteria growth they seem to work ok . I usually pull the whole cover off hose off water hit it with spray 9 hose again and then disinfectant wipes before re assembly ,while cleaning blower wheel and coil unfortunately no one likes paying to have it done annually so they wait till it’s disgusting and performance sucks . That’s the major downfall of mini splits is what’s called house keeping without it some one is yearly cleaning a dirty head . I’m way up front w maintenance when people enquire about mini splits I know they don’t like surprises just like me Peace and good luck clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    SuperTech
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    I noticed when the hole though the wall is not sealed up , dirt and growth seems to buld up in the evaporator .. Surge protectors I have been installing just in the last few years .They can't hurt ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    SuperTech
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    The good news on these systems is they adapt to poor maintenance. So if indoor units are plugged the outdoor unit simply ramp down to match.

I see a lot of 10+ units out there of various brands.

I’d say normal 15-25 years like a regular heat pump.