Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper and Brass deactivate at least one Coronavirus

Options
CLamb
CLamb Member Posts: 281
It seems that copper and brass surfaces are good at deactivating at least one Coronavirus--and likely others as well. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4659470/?fbclid=IwAR366pkwGZ4kg9EOoAURdAc6rLurw9wDoiRXlKfIj1bjU_IGTty3zgsc6JM

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hi @CLamb , Nice find! I wonder if silver has a similar effect? Sovereign Silver is something I've heard of that people are using these days.

Yours, Larry
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Ah... the information I have says that, while they may have some effect on bacteria, they do not on virus.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I heard that snake oil does the trick
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Solid_Fuel_ManCanuckermattmia2Hap_Hazzard
  • jhrost
    jhrost Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Is that called the oligodynamic effect? I seem to recall in the literature with the American standard toilet I put in that the bowl surface was supposed to have been treated with something to give it anti-microbial properties? I'm not sure what the treatment was, but It seems like it would be a great retrofit for all of those supermarket shopping cart handles, and might eliminate the need for that mountain of spent sanitizing wipes I see near the entrance these days. Even in normal times that would be a good thing , you shouldn't need the excuse of a pandemic to strive for the highest level of hygiene.
    CLamb
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    The thing to remember with all these things is that while there are a lot of things -- wipes, soaps, various sprays, etc. which deactivate bacteria (and mostly do a pretty decent job of it), it is much more difficult to deactivate a virus. The very best approach for virus is... soap. And lots of it. I've seen suggestions of 20 seconds for hand washing (I've also seen 30 seconds -- point is, a long time). And at that, you are washing it away, not deactivating it. UV light will deactivate it. Chlorine or Iodine in enough concentration and enough time will do it (just wiping with Clorox etc. won't). So will ozone. It's a problem which the wastewater and water supply folks have been wrestling with for many many years.

It's also worth noting in passing that viral illnesses cannot be treated with antibiotics... Mostly they are classic examples of "You can take this remedy and you will be OK in a week. Or not take it, and you will get well in 7 days".

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_Mankcopp
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options

It's also worth noting in passing that viral illnesses cannot be treated with antibiotics... Mostly they are classic examples of "You can take this remedy and you will be OK in a week. Or not take it, and you will get well in 7 days".

Funny you mention that. For years I;d get cold or URI, but I suspect it was often the common cold. I;d eventually relent and get a antibiotic and I felt better in a few days. This Fall i finally sucked it up and just waited it out. Surprise, surprise, I recovered in about the same amount of time.

I;m finding it;s very hard ot distinguish a URI, sinus infection from a cold virus. I;m wondering how many time I only had one or the other, or perhaps both.
    CLamb
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Furthermore, we have not experienced any port disruptions and none of our Chinese suppliers’ shipments have been impacted. Additionally, all other product is running at normal capacity in our facilities. We have also made adjustments to our current stocking program to allow you the opportunity to secure inventory for the upcoming season.

This is from one of my distributors I'm sure many others got it as well. So It seems not as bad as the media wants to make it. But hay bad news sells papers. As for virus protection I'm going with the always trusted string of garlic around the neck. AH-CHOO
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 281
    Options

Hi @CLamb , Nice find! I wonder if silver has a similar effect? Sovereign Silver is something I've heard of that people are using these days.

Yours, Larry

Maybe, but deactivating a virus on an environmental surface and within the human body are two very different things. Even if silver deactivated viruses on environmental surfaces copper is still much cheaper.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options

Yours, Larry

I think silver does sanitize. I have (had) a Samsung Washer that had a Silver sanitizing cycle if you had clothing or linens that needed to be sanitized. It had a silver plate in it that was good for so many cycles and then had to be replaced. It supposedly washed silver ions into the wash water during the cycle. The washer died before the silver was used up B)
    CLamb
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hi, I have done a bit more looking around on the web and this link: https://www.bing.com/search?q=colloidal+silver+virus+killer&qs=AS&pq=colloidal+silver+vi&sk=AS1&sc=8-19&cvid=5222320647564B53AB4791C0EA7076D1&FORM=QBLH&sp=2&ghc=1

shows much discussion about how silver is bad for viruses. Spraying it onto frequently touched surfaces might be of use along with taking it internally. Might be one additional way to stay safe in these interesting times. :#

Yours, Larry
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options

The very best approach for virus is... soap. And lots of it. I've seen suggestions of 20 seconds for hand washing (I've also seen 30 seconds -- point is, a long time). And at that, you are washing it away, not deactivating it.

This particular virus (COVID-19) has a lipid bilayer membrane, so the soap actually does destroy the virus. That membrane structure also explains why it needs to stay wet to remain viable.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    Canucker
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options

Hi, I have done a bit more looking around on the web and this link: https://www.bing.com/search?q=colloidal+silver+virus+killer&qs=AS&pq=colloidal+silver+vi&sk=AS1&sc=8-19&cvid=5222320647564B53AB4791C0EA7076D1&FORM=QBLH&sp=2&ghc=1

shows much discussion about how silver is bad for viruses. Spraying it onto frequently touched surfaces might be of use along with taking it internally. Might be one additional way to stay safe in these interesting times. :#

Yours, Larry

I think before you ingest it, be sure it will not make things worse. If you take any other prescriptions I would consult with a doctor before you start chugging or brushing your teeth with it.

One of the carbon block filter companies used to add some silver to help prevent bacteria growth in the cartridge. I don't see them around anymore.

https://www.healthline.com/health/colloidal-silver
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    " Fats are made from lipid molecules. " From google search. I want to state now I have been washing my stomach a lot with no reduction in fat.