Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Freon recovery or pump down into condensor

To change indoor TXV on a heat pump system Is it possible for the Freon to be pumped back into a micro channel heat pump condenser ? Or does if have to be contained using a recovery machine & tank?

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    A microchannel coil may not hold the complete charge.
    nicholsnsons
  • nicholsnsons
    nicholsnsons Member Posts: 6
    > @nicholsnsons said:
    > To change indoor TXV on a heat pump system Is it possible for the Freon to be pumped back into a micro channel heat pump condenser ? Or does if have to be contained using a recovery machine & tank?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    & scroll compressors shouldn't be pumped down to low pressure so you gotta use a recovery machine anyhow
    SuperTech
  • nicholsnsons
    nicholsnsons Member Posts: 6
    Basically recover whole system & weigh back in best bet this would save time on the start Up or Is it advisable to close down liquid & suction line ports recover evaporator & line set ? Just seems like there should be other options to service equipment, Thanks for any suggestions it is appreciated,
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    If refrigerant was originally added to the factory charge, then recover. Either way, a triple vac should be done. Good time to replace the liquid line drier too.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I always considered what wouldn't fit in the condenser to be a demines release.
    ratioIronman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited March 2020
    The outdoor unit came factory pre-charged with enough for the system + 15' of lineset. Anything beyond that (lineset length, additional charge for a particular ID coil) the condenser may not have the capacity to hold from a pump down.

Recovery MAY be your best option for getting the charge correct in cold weather, however, there's a down side to it: it will take much longer to recover and way much longer to pull a good vacuum if the oil in the compressor is cold.

There are things I personally will do that I would not advise others to do unless they had the experience and tools to accomplish it correctly. In this case, I'd pump MOST of the refrigerant back into the unit, then evacuate and re-charge based on superheat or sub cooling. But that's also dependent upon proper air flow and there's more that on side to check superheat.

If in doubt, recover it, evacuate, and weigh it back in based upon the manufacturer's QRD sheet.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    unclejohn said:

I always considered what wouldn't fit in the condenser to be a demines release.

Sometimes, it's a de-Maximus release. :D

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Doesn't the regulation say you have to pull it to a certain level of vacuum before opening the system?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    > @mattmia2 said:
    > Doesn't the regulation say you have to pull it to a certain level of vacuum before opening the system?

The regulations say a lot of things. Too bad there’s Zero enforcement.
    mattmia2
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @mattmia2 said:
    > Doesn't the regulation say you have to pull it to a certain level of vacuum before opening the system?

Regardless of pump down or recovery, prep for charging needs evacuation and hold to 500 microns or below.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    pecmsg said:

> @mattmia2 said:

The regulations say a lot of things. Too bad there’s Zero enforcement.

I'm conflicted on the lack of enforcement because i tried to take the exam and i couldn't find someone giving the exam unless you took their class.