Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HTP COMBI Here we go again

BillyO
BillyO Member Posts: 277
Went to a job we installed last heating season to check an install that has the homeowner up in arms now. 199 combi that keeps going off on error and homeowner has to keep resetting every day when he gets home from work.I open up cabinet and all components starting to rust and pit and entire inside of cabinet covered with condensation. Homeowner wants boiler ripped out, I waited 25 minutes for http to pick up tech support line yesterday before hanging up. 24/7 online tech support a joke. Talk about getting bit in the **** over and over again.

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    It sounds like it is vented incorrectly, causing flue gas reversion. Did you vent it concentrically? Do you happen to have pictures of the installation?
    icy78CanuckerkcoppSolid_Fuel_Man
  • BillyO
    Emerson swan stepped up and got boiler replaced under warranty. Would like to thank Joe Adornetti for all his help with this matter.
    ratiokcopp
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Wow, that was a quick turnaround. Does someone pay for your labor under warranty?
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • BillyO
    we will submit bill, they don't pay much. Still cheaper tho than constantly running and servicing boiler
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    FYI - I called Navien Tech support twice this last week on a combi startup. Waited 1 minute on hold. Got right to the issue. Had a new igniter delivered overnight. Stole one out of a new one at another house not started up yet. Still had issue and he quickly had me block the intake partially. Fired right up. New propane tank not purged correctly, air mixed in propane. Left it blocked overnight while hte radiant sla heated up. Running fine the next day.

It’s disappointing that what could be a great product isn’t being well supported and has some QC issues. Cool they replaced it.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    curious as to what they thought the cause may be for the HTP failing?
    mattmia2
  • BillyO
    crack in the exhaust boot
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    i guess they burn cleanly enough that wouldn't set of a co detector
  • BobZmuda
    BobZmuda Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2020
    Is htp going to keep making this boiler? Imo it could be a great boiler.

The best thing about the combis is the three gallon tank with the coil heat exchanger. Most combis use a flat plat heat exchanger and will have a hot water sandwich during use which is annoying to say the least.

You should offer for sale a small indirect like what is used in the uft combis or continue to improve the line. The 10-1 turndown is great, but a lower low level firing rate on the combis would be fantastic to help with short cycling. I’d also like to see a delayed ramping option like on the Lochinvar knight and epic boilers. And an improved three way valve..

Otherwise great boilers imo.
  • BillyO
    Tim, we did speak. Conversation didn't go to well. But anyway, I replaced a combi today in Holmdel. Customer was very happy that HTP stood behind their product. Thats really all I can ask for when I buy into a line. I know some things are out of our hands but I try to stick with manufacturers that give best service. Joey A came thru and said you helped in expediting claim. Dan at AF supply also a big help with this. Not many Staten Island contractors installing HTP condensing boilers so I sold it hard to my customers. I do have to say Joey A and Kevin dd as much as they possibly could for me , 24/7. All is good Tim
    BobZmuda
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    BobZmuda said:

Is htp going to keep making this boiler? Imo it could be a great boiler.

The best thing about the combis is the three gallon tank with the coil heat exchanger. Most combis use a flat plat heat exchanger and will have a hot water sandwich during use which is annoying to say the least.

You should offer for sale a small indirect like what is used in the uft combis or continue to improve the line. The 10-1 turndown is great, but a lower low level firing rate on the combis would be fantastic to help with short cycling. I’d also like to see a delayed ramping option like on the Lochinvar knight and epic boilers. And an improved three way valve..

Otherwise great boilers imo.

These are all great points which I am glad to pass along. Being in Technical I do not collaborate with engineering on features product design, but I do attend meetings on revisions and releases. for these boilers, if the 3-way valve has a blue sticker on the motor, it is older revision. If green sticker, it is current. The SFN number (software version that is flashed on startup) is .11 or smaller, the board has to be flashed or replaced to the newer SFN number, .12 or greater, to have the 3-way exercise daily. Our current UFTC line is 10-1 ratio. Our newest line (ELU) has a FPHX for DHW and the boiler itself is held warmer instead of pre-heating the small HX like the UFTC line does.
    Just a guy running some pipes.
    BobZmuda
  • Timco
    BillyO said:

Tim, we did speak. Conversation didn't go to well. But anyway, I replaced a combi today in Holmdel. Customer was very happy that HTP stood behind their product. Thats really all I can ask for when I buy into a line. I know some things are out of our hands but I try to stick with manufacturers that give best service. Joey A came thru and said you helped in expediting claim. Dan at AF supply also a big help with this. Not many Staten Island contractors installing HTP condensing boilers so I sold it hard to my customers. I do have to say Joey A and Kevin dd as much as they possibly could for me , 24/7. All is good Tim

I am sorry our conversation did not go well, I speak to dozens of customers per day and get well over 100 emails a day. We certainly do stand behind the products we make and I am always glad to do my best to assist with these issues. Please feel free to reach out in the future if needed.
    BillyO
  • BillyO
    Do you guys over any training on the EFT wall boilers?
  • Timco
    BillyO said:

Do you guys over any training on the EFT wall boilers?

Glad to ask, not sure. Email has been sent to training department. Lots of training on new lines like ELX and ELU but not sure about product specific training on older lines.