Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trane - Stuck in the station

PC
PC Member Posts: 23
I have a Trane hot water boiler (TGBWF090A93AVAA -installed 12/2008 by previous owner) that is getting stuck in lockout on a regular basis.
I get a pilot flame then after a few seconds it kicks off and goes into lockout/service required after the main burner doesn't fire.
Have cleaned the flame sensor and reinstalled (several times) and can get it going again but after the night set-back of only 4-5 degrees it locks out sometime overnight and I wake to a cold house and a locked out boiler control.
Bad flame sensor?
Thanks for any input on this unit

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    It could be. Also check that you have a solid ground path all the way back to the electric panel.

Can you post a couple pics of the boiler?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    PC
  • PC
    Thanks Ironman...

• PC
    After some extensive troubleshooting and installing a new Electronic Ignition Control (CNT05035) we are back in business.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2020
    Is that a modulating atmospheric boiler? I didn’t know they existed. It says 30 min, 90 max.

Efficiency is 80% low, 82 high.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @mikeg2015

two position, lo-hi fire is my guess
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2020
    That a huge turndown ratio for a high low 3:1. Most 2 stage gas valves are only 3:2 at best. But a typical turndown for a gas furnace is 3:1.

Who makes this boiler? Dunkirk?
  • turneim
    turneim Member Posts: 1
    I have six of these units. I have consumed a few ignitors and it has been impossible to find the parts. The boiler / ignitor is Ferroli. Completely unsupported. In fact, they do not want to speak to anyone in English. It's a great boiler when it works.
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    mikeg2015 said:

Is that a modulating atmospheric boiler? I didn’t know they existed. It says 30 min, 90 max.

Efficiency is 80% low, 82 high.

actually, atmospherics are modulating ready from the get go. they pull air based on the gas flow working just like the burner on your stove. implementation lags-given that these aren't naturally conducive to a condensing design, so that feature has been less relevant–although if you have partial load could make a little sense although the stack efficiency is pretty similar across the range so the industry has been satisfied with cycling rather than low fire.

i've been more interested in it from a steam control perspective so you can have high fire to make steam and modulated fire to keep steam.

but what a parts headache for an otherwise useful boiler @turneim.

@PC don't know how much documentation there is or if you have to be able to read italian but you can usually test the flame rod signal. 15 years for a new logic control is within the envelope although it reveals the vaguries introduced by digital control. A good ole fashioned analog 2 stage aquastat could do the same the same thing but, they went digital. what are the connections at the control, if they are screw terminal, non issue but I have had trouble with proprietary multiple lead plug connectors on goodman/honeywell combo. So if it goes back to occasional lockout, that is worth considering, but sounds like you solved it.

brian