Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Hangers - Which way is best?

tlowc34
tlowc34 Member Posts: 75
edited December 2019 in Strictly Steam
Asbestos abatement was completed this fall on my 2 pipe steam heat system. Given today's Cyber Monday deal on insulation. I'm trying to decide which pipe hanger system to go with for the large steam mains (4" at the start, gradually working their way down to 1-1/4"):
1. Standard Fiberglass Insulation with wooden dowels and metal shields
2. Cal-Sil 360° Insulated Pipe Support w/Metal Shield
Cal-Sil seems like an easier, more resilient/reliable option but the site warns that the Cal-Sil can be damaged in transit.
Does anyone have experience with either?
Thanks,
Todd

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I would just use fiberglass. Cal-Sil would be more difficult to work with and is a mess to cut.

As far as hangers go you can put hangers directly on the pipe (which is the way it's usually done for heating) or put hangers with insulation shields on the outside of the insulation with oversized hangers....and as those hangers are larger you may not have enough room
    tlowc34
  • tlowc34
    There are existing hangers but they’re loose. I thought I needed to put the hanger on the outside of the insulation to allow the pipe to slide with expansion? If I go direct to the pipe, won’t it create a conduit for heat loss (up the hanger) and eventually open up the joint in the insulation due to movement? Maybe I’m overthinking this.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    I'm thinking the heat loss through a hanger directly on the pipe would be negligible.
    Hap_Hazzard
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    and weather you need to allow for expansion and contraction depends on the pipe length. In the average house it isn't an issue
    Hap_Hazzard
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    If you put the hangers around the insulation, you're going to need bigger hangers for one thing. I'd also be concerned that the pipe would gradually wear down the insulation and it'd be hard to keep it level.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    As @Hap_Hazzard said putting on the outside increases the size and cost but can be done!

• tlowc34
    edited December 2019
    I have the space, but if you don't think expansion contraction will be an issue, I might skip. Here's the basement floorplan (2 floors of heated space above, similar floorplans) with the plumbing schematic (from memory, might be a few small differences). Header starts at 3" and works down from there. I'm also replacing vents, I was thinking of 1 Gorton #2 on each condensate and main.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    From what I can see in your drawing, the expansion and contraction should not be an issue. Most often they are not in a residential system

As far as your hangers go. When you say they are"loose" does that mean that they are falling apart?
    What type of hangers are they?
    If they are clevis hangers and they are not damaged, they can be tightened and used again.
  • Intplm.
    Clevis hanger
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    @pecmsg That's interesting. I've never seen a product made for that purpose. It looks like it should work, as it's designed to spread the load over a wider area, and any movement would tend to be isolated to the clevis bolt. I bet they're pricey though.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • tlowc34
    edited December 2019
    They're an old school, split ring style. Similar to what is shown below. By loose I mean they aren't tight to the pipe in all locations (1/2 gap all the way around) or the pipe isn't actually resting on it. Not sure if this was because it was used during installation to support a flying end, until plumbing was completed and the pitch finalized. Does that help?

That is the cal-sil version above I was thinking of.

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776

@pecmsg That's interesting. I've never seen a product made for that purpose. It looks like it should work, as it's designed to spread the load over a wider area, and any movement would tend to be isolated to the clevis bolt. I bet they're pricey though.

Used on Chilled Water and Steam in commercial
  • Intplm.
    tlowc34 said:

They're an old school, split ring style. Similar to what is shown below. By loose I mean they aren't tight to the pipe in all locations (1/2 gap all the way around) or the pipe isn't actually resting on it. Not sure if this was because it was used during installation to support a flying end, until plumbing was completed and the pitch finalized. Does that help?

That is the cal-sil version above I was thinking of.

If this hanger is sound. Supporting the pipe properly and is not broken then its fine. Otherwise I would replace them with what I have pictured in my earlier post.