Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converting from propane to natural gas

I am converting a propane heater from propane to natural gas. The unit is 100,000 btu. The propane was 11 inch water column. The natural gas is max 7 inches water column . Changed gas valve no problem. I need to drill out the nozzle. Polished off one of the nozzle and found a number 55 on it. How do I know how big of a hole to drill nozzle out. Can some direct me to a chart that would show some options. I had a hard copy of one years ago, but its long gong. It’s not to often that I convert from propane gas to natural.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Here you go :)
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    STEVEusaPA
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2019
    @Zman can’t seem to open the pdf.
    steve
  • Zman
    Try it this way
    Albert Einstein
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    It's not downloading properly. What I got for the pdf link was a pdf, but the name was a file called 'Gas, no extension & note the single quote at the beginning. After I renamed it, it opened fine. The spreadsheet wouldn't download at all.

Might be a Valillabox issue, @Erin Holohan Haskell?

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Maybe it'll work this way
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Nope.
    All well, I tried. ;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • giardina850
    giardina850 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Zman.
    I successfully downloaded chart. Found the 55 for the nozzle. Then I go across to the proper pressure and I see number. How to I convert that number to a drill bit size?
  • Zman
    edited November 2019
    That orifice will supply 18,888 btu/hour with 11" propane,do you have 5 of them to add up to ~100,000?
    You then need to find the correct size orifice for the pressure you are running in natural gas. If your manifold pressure is 7" (definately check your actual pressure), a NO. 49 would be pretty close at 19,135.
    Albert Einstein
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2019
    For some reason it's not recognizing it as a pdf, probably because it has put single quotes around it.
    But you can download it to your desktop, then right click and choose 'Open with' and choose Acrobat.
    The Excel file didn't open either. I sent a message off to Erin.
    Maybe it's a browser issue, not necessarily a website issue.
    steve
  • Zman
    edited November 2019
    Zman said:

Try it this way

Did this work with the xcel file.?
    Albert Einstein
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Thanks for the heads up, guys. We're looking into it.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    ratio
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Note that 7" is almost certainly the input. The manifold pressure will be much less and you will likely need to convert the manifold regulator as well.
    Zman
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    With 100,000 BTU's how many burners do you have? The outlet pressure from the gas valve on natural gas should be 3.5" W.C. Give me the number of burners and I will give you an orifice size.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276

For some reason it's not recognizing it as a pdf, probably because it has put single quotes around it.
    But you can download it to your desktop, then right click and choose 'Open with' and choose Acrobat.
    The Excel file didn't open either. I sent a message off to Erin.
    Maybe it's a browser issue, not necessarily a website issue.

After some tests, it looks like this is what's happening. I'm not sure what's going on with the file, but you have to choose what to open it with.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    edited November 2019
    When downloading the file it adds an apostrophe before and after the file name, if those are deleted from the file name it opens normally.

Not sure where the apostrophe's came from, but that appears to be the issue.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Zman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I believe you said you changed the gas valve?
    It may be set for 3.5" WC output.

If there is a pilot burner, that orifice may have to be changed also. IMO
  • giardina850
    giardina850 Member Posts: 5
    ok, thanks guys. I think I got this now. Good heads up on checking gas pressure on the new gas valve. I will check out.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    For the pilot you want an .018 size orifice. Again if you will give me the number of burners you have I will give you the orifice size for natural gas on the burners.