Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Floating balls on boiler feed water? Ever heard of that?

I was reading a book from Spirax Sarco and it recommended using floating balls in the boiler feed unit to limit the oxygen during long off times like you would see in a brewery. The balls act like a blanket system. It said it will limit the O2 scavenger needed in system. Never heard that before and wanted to see if you ever did.
Thanks
Ray
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    I've heard of it, @RayWohlfarth , but never seen it. No good reason why it wouldn't help, at least a bit. Also cut down on evaporation from the feed tank, if it's hot.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,480
    Thanks @Jamie Hall It seems to make sense
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • jsavage
    jsavage Member Posts: 42
    They do that in the reservoirs in the LA area. Not super pertinent, but interesting nonetheless. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uxPdPpi5W4o
    --
    Homeowner from Providence, RI
    Home b. 1897, one-pipe steam with a indirect gravity hot air system using Gold's pin radiators.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    Could not the floating balls potentially block the boiler feed tank vent or overflow?
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,480
    @jsavage I heard they work great to lower the odors
    @EBEBRATT-Ed Good point never thought about that
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276

Could not the floating balls potentially block the boiler feed tank vent or overflow?

use big enough ones...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    jsavage said:

They do that in the reservoirs in the LA area. Not super pertinent, but interesting nonetheless.

Interesting video. The math suggests they paid $32,000,000 for the balls though. Seems like a very pricey solution.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,701
    JohnNY said:

jsavage said:

They do that in the reservoirs in the LA area. Not super pertinent, but interesting nonetheless.

Interesting video. The math suggests they paid $32,000,000 for the balls though. Seems like a very pricey solution.
    Newark received $60 million from the EPA to cover the Cedar Grove NJ reservoir with some unknown solution :(
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    JohnNY
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,245
    It requires thinking and forethought but venting can be eliminated. What's the good of expelling air and then letting it back in?
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    I have to say that is a fascinating video jsavage

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.