Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A/C Outdoor Unit is not running

I have an old Rheem unit from 1980s. This morning the outdoor unit stopped working. I have checked the thermostat line and I see 24 volts, also checked the main power and it's 220V+. When I push the switch for compressor contactor, compressor kicks in but the fan doesn't move. I have also bypassed delay timer which had no affect. I checked the inside of the unit for corrosion, checked for contacts etc - Everything seems to be in order. I know if the fan doesn't spin compressor will overheat, so I decided not to hack anything. Thank you for your input.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    alanbk said:

I have an old Rheem unit from 1980s. This morning the outdoor unit stopped working. I have checked the thermostat line and I see 24 volts, also checked the main power and it's 220V+. When I push the switch for compressor contactor, compressor kicks in but the fan doesn't move. I have also bypassed delay timer which had no affect. I checked the inside of the unit for corrosion, checked for contacts etc - Everything seems to be in order. I know if the fan doesn't spin compressor will overheat, so I decided not to hack anything. Thank you for your input.

Either needs a capacitor for the fan motor, or a fan motor assuming the motor is getting power.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    alanbk
  • alanbk
    alanbk Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your response - If it's either one of them - will they replace these parts or tell me to get a new system considering it's an old system.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You should never push in the contactor.
    steve
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    If it really is around 30 years old, I would be planning on replacement in any case. While a fan motor (& cap, always) isn't that big a deal, after that what's going to fail next? It's already been about twice it's life expectancy.
  • alanbk
    Thanks again - Can you guys recommend somebody servicing north jersey that won't overcharge me?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • alanbk
    Just wanted to give you guys an update -- I have purchased the motor, capacitor, blades and replaced them all. There were some nuances around how it should be wired, fan direction, trimming the shaft, fan placement, fan motor drain plug etc. Great help from Rheem parts department and Connolly supply store in North Arlington. I will have to point out that working with a the capacitor this size is dangerous. I have EE background and have dealt with them before. If you are not sure, you may want to let a professional handle it to be safe.

All in all I spent $200 and couple of hours driving back and forth and installing it. It's working and feels like It's actually cooling better.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Great you got it fixed. You can just change the small run cap only, but sounds like you went ahead and changed the dual cap. Those old Raheem capacitors are really good. Have a lot of originals out there 20+. New ones last maybe 10-15 years.

The bad news, is your on borrowed time with a 35 year old system. Might make it another 5, maybe not. Not to mention that it’s 8-10 SEER.

Did you change the contactor while you were in there? Contacts are usually pretty worn out by then.