Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Summer job stories

Options
2»

Comments

• Harold
    Harold Member Posts: 249
    Options
    Two summer jobs to finance education.

First - sorting mail at a USPS hub in the city. Besides being incredibly boring, tightly monitored, making absolute mess of my fingers. Skin cut constantly from the edge of letters. It was like I sandpapered them and then put them in a blender. I have been more respectful of letters being tossed at me since then. I had a shift a day, but then it snowed: a lot! I got some serious benefits from no one else being able to get into the facility.

Oddly, many years later I built and ran a data center for the USPS with a nice new national network.

Summer job 2. A Carny. Big Carny. First benefit: you can go most anywhere free and behind the scenes if you are not working. Interesting.

Being a basic newbie/presumed drifter sort, I put up the rides and tents and stuff. After things were running, I wound up running a ride for small children on the ride I had just put together. I was innocently running the rug rats through the ride. One of the bosses came by and said that their cashier had not shown up. He asked if I could make change. This appeared to be a rather selective job with better pay. So I disclosed that I could pretty much move money and tickets around at the ticket kiosk. It was almost like being designated a god.

My only instructions were: if there is extra money left at the end of the day; it is yours. If you are short, you gotta pay.
    It was interesting working around the carny people. Very "family" focused and overall quite pleasant. Some attention from the female people. New blood was not real common.

When it was over, the boss asked me if I would travel with them. Turns out, it was a really rare person that can handle tickets and collect money. Put up and take down the carny was an extra benefit. That could have been an excellent experience, but I said to myself; engineer/carny. It seemed like a good idea not to travel. But later dealing with higher level math, I occasionally thought about the carny. But I designed a novel research probe that went to low orbit. It made me feel better.
    ratioErin Holohan HaskellMad Dog_2
  • Hvac_artisan
    Hvac_artisan Member Posts: 21
    Options
    When I was a kid growing up my parents owned a donut shop. We lived in an apartment upstairs. So during the summer and on weekends as a little kid I would go down and clear tables for people. Take their garbage or coffee cups or baskets for them and I would make money from tips. It wasn’t much but I learned to do it during the busier times where there was more money to be made. At 6 or 7 years old I could make $5-$10 in a couple of hours on a busy day. I also learned to talk to customers and be friendly. By nine or 10 I was working the cash register and getting paid by the hour.
    Erin Holohan HaskellSlamDunkMad Dog_2
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,589
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed

Back in the late 70's PPE wasn't as available as today. A face mask was a dish towel tied in the back. Safety glasses were the kind worn in high school chemistry labs and the elastic was always stretched out, the plastic lens clouded.

Formal LOTO protocols wasn't heard of back then, or at least not to us, but the old man taught me my first safety lesson.

He walked into the boiler room while I was scraping the walls of the combustion chamber- a tight fit, had to belly crawl in.

The combustion blower came on and it was instant blackout. I couldnt belly crawl backwards fast enough and banged my head a dozen times trying. Coughing and spitting. Then the burner was turned off.

When I got out, my father was standing there with fuses in his hand. He said, " Don't make it easy for one of us to kill you. It would give us nightmares for the rest of our lives. Keep these in your pocket when you're in a boiler. "
    Mad Dog_2
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I had a job in the '80's processing and delivering shellfish. We would dredge the little critters up one day, clean and process the next, deliver to wholesalers the day after. Friday was the day we cleaned the plant and went to the dump.
    One particular Friday, with our youthful wisdom, we decided that we should clean the plant in the morning and head down to Newport RI for a 3 day bender, leaving the seafood scraps in a hot box truck for the weekend.
    Needless to say, when we pulled into the dump the next week, we were looking and feeling our very best. We opened the truck to find baskets of crawling maggots that wood make a Hollywood special effects crew envious. We spend the morning in the hot sun dumping a tote, throwing up for a while, and them dumping the next tote.
    The goods news is, I now never put off a dump run, I go right away. Anytime a job looks really gross, I just think back and realize it is not that bad....
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Mad Dog_2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,208
    Options
    I drove the garbage truck occasionally when I worked at Snowbird ski resort. Hauling down a steep snowy canyon road was part of the adventure, across the Salt Lake valley to the dump. You see, and smell some wild things when you unload the truck at a dump site.
    A truck backed in right next to me once and started unloading waste from a packing house, blood and guts oozing around my feet. I'm sure he did it on purpose, plenty other places for him to unload at the site :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mad Dog_2
  • old_diy_guy
    old_diy_guy Member Posts: 11
    Options
    My favorite summer job was working for my uncle, who owned Concord Oil on the Isle of Long. He'd have me do some burner service calls for him. I still have the Bacharach wet kit he bought me for my 16th birthday. My second favorite job was driving a cab in NYC for another uncle.
    Mad Dog_2
  • lager
    lager Member Posts: 56
    Options
    I spent 3 summers working for our local school system, performing a variety of janitorial and maintenance projects.
    The Board of Education had purchased some property for future buildings and it also included a nature walk area and a pond.
    The summer was 1975, 1st school on the property was built in 1984.
    One afternoon we went into the pond to swim one my fellow student workers found a fence post in the pond, there was dirt road back to the pond. All of sudden we noticed a cloud arising from dirt road a green Plymouth Fury come down the road, we noticed this car as Mr. Curtis car, he was a big man with a crew cut.
    When he was a Junior High Principal, we called him Bear.
    We raced out of the pond, I had shoulder length hair at the time, I stood next to Ralph the head of Maintenance as he & Bear discussed something. And reaches over casually, and grabs my hair, tells "Ralph you better quit this working this boy so hard he is about to sweat to death." Then Mr. Curtis got back in his car and left the premises.
    Next morning Mr. Curtis, the Assistant Superintendent of Schools, his new job, whose job duties included handling funds for building & grounds, came out to the shop.
    I, and 3 of my friends were gathered there along with Ralph (head of maintenance) and his assistant Elmer.
    The pond mentioned above had a fence around it, and there had been some vandalism. This was a concern because of the liability issue if someone were to enter the pond and drown, the School System would sued.
    Mr. Curtis demanded we swim until every post fence was found, 4 of us got paid for swimming the whole day, but we only making $1.65/hour. Now this property is a school campus with 2 Schools and soccer fields, baseball & softball fields, but the pond is still there.

I loved working with Mr. Curtis, he was a great Boss & a good man sadly he passed in the 80's

Jim Walls
    Solid_Fuel_ManCLambMad Dog_2
  • lager
    lager Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Another time Mr. Curtis had me & best friend dig a footer at his home for an addition, by hand. it was summer & he pulled in his kitchen, said " I don't want you boys to get heat stroke or dehydrate!"
    There is the sink right there, pop & beer in the fridge. We were 17 years old at the time.
    And pointed up over the sink, don't you dare get into my liquor cabinet, but he was pointing at the key!

Like I said I loved working for "Bear"
    rick in AlaskaMad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    My first job was at a McDonalds. I lasted a week. Hated it . It wasn't for me. Then I worked at a Bar/banquet Hall. Washed dishes, set up tables and chairs, mopped floors and cut the grass took out the trash. Best job I ever had.

Then I worked at the old Todd CEA in Stamford, CT wiring control panels. That was a good job and paid about $5.00/hr which in 1972 was good money. My first full time job was at an Oil Compant for 2.35/hr 1973
    Mad Dog_2
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,448
    Options
    When I was a wee lad, I had a summer job working for the Rural Electrification Agency down on the Navajo Indian reservation, running electric power lines into all the Navajo outhouses. I guess you can say that I was one of the first people to wire a head for a reservation.
    CLambDave CarpentierMad Dog_2
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Worked at the local McDonalds and quickly learned that if you weren’t doing anything you better have a mop or broom in your hands. So I kept making Apple Pies even though we were closing in about a 1/2 hour. When the manager saw my mountain of pies he hit the roof and bawled me out good and put me to work with the mop. As we were all leaving I asked him that since we had so many pies if it was ok for me to take a couple home. I’ll bet he is still mad. 
    ratioSolid_Fuel_ManMad Dog_2
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 285
    edited March 2023
    Options
    My first summer job was working in a plastic molding factory 2nd shift. It was the most boring job ever. I stood next to the machine, when the mold opened I opened the safety door, took the piece out, and put it in a box, closed the door, and repeat. My worst summer job was selling good humor ice cream from a truck. The pay was lousy and the kids kept trying to steal from me.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    edited March 2023
    Options
      I come from a long line of Thoroughbred Horseman going back to Ireland 🇮🇪 and originally from Scotland before 1700.  The Sweeney Clan were Gallowglassers, Paid Mercenary soldiers for the Kings of Scotland and Ireland and Master Horseman.   Think Braveheart.   I'm descended directly from this line and it explains my work ethic, passion and wild 😜, take no prisoners gusto for life.  
    My father Bart & Grandfather were  renowned and revered Thoroughbred Horseman on the NY tracks.  My whole fambly worked the track.   My pops started in the Stable of Sunny Jim Fitzsimmon's Greatest trainer of all time...70 plus years on top!  My Grandfather Bart Jr was his right hand man from 1927 when he came directly from  NYC docks & Went to work the same day till 1957 when he died at Hialeah after getting Bold Ruler,  Secretariats Sire (dad) and 1957 Horse of the year.,.settled.in  He worked 7 days a week 14 hours a day for Sunny Jim who was the trainer for The Phipps" (US Steel) and The Woodwards (Famed Atty).  My Papa grew up very poor over a Bar called the Rainbow 🌈 on Rockaway Blvd in South Ozone Park Queens . Being poor Irish, among wiseguys and street toughs my father and his older Brother Pat became Standout Football players and street fighters,  but my Father was the Life of the party.   Pat started hanging around the corner gas station at age 9 or 10 and began a long career as a car mechanic.  Pat loved to brawl so much,  that if he drove past a bar brawl (not knowing a soul ) he would pull over with his fiance, mother, Et cetera jump out and dive in to the Donnybrook! My father started going to Aqueduct (4 blocks away they had no car....not until my father got one at 18) at age 5 on weekends and after school.  He learned.the trade watching his dad toil away, doing all the jobs a Horseman had to DO.  Nashua was the top horse they had in the 1950s.  When I was 5, I started to go to the track with my Papa to learn all the basic horse care. Rake the shedrow? refill the 40 pound water buckets, Walk the Hots 🔥 Off (Hot horses back from a work out on the track), climb up in the loft and throw down bales if hay and straw to replenish the stalls. Muck the stalls (horse manure) hold horses while they were washed,  groomed, re-shoed.  Learned to clean the riding tack, tiny saddles and leather bridles with Murphys Oil soap and finish with Lexol. I don't remember getting paid until I was 9.  My father's close buddy Dave Rich Sr. Started his own horse breeding farm and training Center 8 miles from The Spa,  Saratoga Racetrack. The farm dated back Pre-Revolutioniary War with the original Brickhouse House and Barn.  They bought the dilapidated farm in 1968 and with the 4 boys.  With our addional help in the summer, Dave Rich and his 4 boys built the farm up piece by piece, fence post by fence post.  Every summer we came up for The Saratoga Racing meet, they would have something else done or built...new paddocks, new barns, a deep water swimming 🏊‍♂️ pond for rehabbing 🐎 horses, lunchtime plunges and all night keg  parties and skinny dipping.  My 9th summer, 1976, they announced that I was no longer working for fun...I would be paid!  My mother barely saw me because I moved right in with my "brothers" on the Farm.  At dinner, All the kids would pick the corn for the night in the patch next to the 250 year old brick smoke house.  We drilled fence post holes wiith big, giant John Deer Cork Screw.. after cutting down the posts and letting them season a for a few years,  we nailed up the slats, all cut and milled on sight.  Dave Jr, the oldest was a big boss man at age 12...He ran the crew (The Other 3 brothers).  Dave just jumped in and did it.  Cars, Barn building, wells, plumbing, cesspool, Birthing. FOALS, Breeding the Stallions to the Mares  we were up at 545am.. In the first barn at 6am. First all the horses got water refills.  150 horses over 8 barns.  Then we'd take the by this (the nicer ones) to their Paddock and close the gate). Then we'd pull the John Deere and the S-'- spreader in to the barn and start mucking out the stalls...this took until about 1130am...Farm breakfast-  Back to work at 1230.  Now the Horse training started down at the huge training barn we had an indoor all season track im the barn .  The older boys would ride and gallop the 🐎 horses, the Old Man would direct the training.  I'd tack them up, Help the rider with a leg up.  And on to the next.  This would go on all day till about 3pm when we would switch gears and either cut, scatter up the rows and bale hay in the mid day sun, Fix the 🚜 tractor, the Hose.Hydrants, well, unclog the septic system, walk the 5/8 training track (which the built from scratch..  pick large rocks from the training tack so we didn't lose a Million Dollar Racehorses to a busted foot.    The 1970s was THE GOLDEN ERA of Thoroughbred racing History.  1973, The Greatest Racehorse of all time, SECRETARIAT,  shattered the field to become the first Triple Crown Winner in 25yrs!!  We were there every step.  Ronnie Turcotte, Secretariat's great Jockey was also a close personal friend to my Father and Dave Rich Sr.  Turcotte as everyone called him had a  HUGE Winnebago for his 5 kids and wife, and they would park it down by the Stud Barn next to the pond for the Meet,  living in it.   Ron gave The Rich Farm Secretariat's training saddle which I have used many times.  Dave Jr still owns it.  Eddie Maple a fierce competitor to Turcotte on the track but good buddies off the track would hang out too. The Rich Boys were man-boys... worked hard-play hard.  One summer when I was 11,  I got a special treat,, I got to be in a Documentary show called "SPECIAL EDITION " a 60 minutes style show about the Rich farm and their boys that manned the Farm.  I got in a few scenes and felt like a Rock Star!!   Also, Director Robert Halmi made a Movie called MY OLD MAN w Warren Oates & Christy Mc Nichol about an Old Racetracker and who  finally his "Big Horse" as we said on the track.  The Riches were in the whole movie and technical advisors  filmed entirely in Saratoga. I learned love of hard work from them and my parents of course  but they were and will forever be Fambly to me. 1977 The Great Seattle Slew took the 3 Classics of the Triple Crown.   1978 Stevie Cauthen 16 yrs old Lead Affirmed to smashing victories against super horse Alydar. The 1978 Belmont Stakes was   watched from My father's Perch 30 feet above the track on that skinny stand right on the finish line.  Papa was a top Judge now.  When we descended the stand, my older brother Bart , a Pinkerton Body Guard now said to my dazed father "Wow...that was some race,  hey Papa???" WITHOUT missing a beat, and looking straight ahead he told me and Bart "Greatest race I've ever seen boys!!"  And he had seen them all from until the 1940s till them  till now.  3 Triple Crown Winners in 5 yrs!  Took 37 years to wet down  the Triple Crown dry spell!  2016 American Pharoah  I was there sitting directly behind The Godfather's Daughter and Author Vicky Gotti whom I chatted with between races as we both grew up in Howard Beach and shared a few common friends.   Everyone was jumping up and down hugging and crying when he won.  The Parties were epic in Saratoga.   I remember my parents signing that great hit song "Those were the days my friend...we thought they'd never end..." they were right.  Who would have known that in 1978, The Great Ron Turcotte would take a fall at Belmont and His great friend,  My Father Bart, was the first to him. Paralyzed from the waist down, and  he knew it right away 😌. Father did his best to comfort his old friend.   My father cried hard at the kitchen table that night...we all.did.  3 years later the Great Horseman Bart Sweeney Jr was dead from a massive heart attack at age 43. Two great men cut down in their prime...but they went out on top!  THE irony. Good times...bad times...So THAT is how I spent MY summers. Thank you for reading my treatise! .... Mad 🐕 Dog 

rick in AlaskaSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,320
    Options
    Hi @Mad Dog_2 , I'm seeing a book here! However, it looks like the title "Horsing Around" has been well used. You'll want to come up with a different title B)

Yours, Larry
    Mad Dog_2HomerJSmithSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Ha ha Larry.  Thanks  I DO have a book in the works but I'm in no rush.  Looking foward to reading yours.  I still have that belt buckle you sent me!  Mad Dog
    Larry Weingarten
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Hey Lamb..I hope you got alot of free ice cream. I wooda...  mad dog 
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 592
    Options
    For a while in highschool I was working weekend days at a small potato farm and an evening shift as a dj at a popular roller rink (hey, it was early 80's lol).
    I wonder why I wasnt smart enough to mark the middle point of those loonngg aluminum irrigation pipes that I had to move (and move and move). The tractor-towed potato digger machine was an exciting game of "Watch Your Fingers" that I looked forward to when the crops came in .
    The dj job was sweet, loads of fun there.
    Later after school, a summer job on a railway. Had to board up at 3am for the 2 or 3 hr ride to the section house. Crew rode on those little open crew cars on the tracks out to anywhere where we dug holes by hand and put in telecom poles. When a train was due (schedule), we would lift the car off the track with long poles and sit and wait (and wait..) until the train flew by, then back on the tracks to the next job site. Lotsa bugs lol. We stayed in small town resorts mostly for the 4x10s. Good food, many a drink. Overslept and missed the crew leaving one day, started walking the track but a diff crew in a pickup was nice enough to drive me the dozen or so miles. Did I mention the bugs ? (northern ontario forests)
    That seasonal telecom experience helped score me the full-time telecom career about 5 yrs later in a different city, built the pension and here I am.

30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
    Mad Dog_2Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Three comments....1) its amazing how many of us did agricultural occupations.  Still love Farms till this day...will someday "retire" on a Gentlemens 🚜 Farm with retired Thoroughbreds.  (I won't have to pay to ride no more..ha ha). 2) All of us here that commented were Movers & Shakers from DAY ONE 😀...Common theme we all share.  3)Dave, You coulda been my DJ at the Roller Rink. 1980-1982, every Friday night we went to Laces ( on back to an ICE rink...again! ) in Herricks,  Long Island.  "You really got me ."(Kinks), "Electric Avenue" Eddie Grant, "Double Dutch Bus." ?, "I will Survive" Gloria Gaynor, "Maniac" Micheal Sembello,  Van Halen,  "Oh what a night" Frankie Valli & 4 Seasons, et al...It was great because it was a completely new and fresh 
    Group of girls!!!!!!! The Mineola  boys didn't like "the Loud guys from Queens" but alot of their girls did!  Ha ha. Afterward, you walked to the Corner to Herricks 🍩 Donuts, for fresh outta the oven Donuts of the first order and soda 😋 It was another Golden Era.  Man we had fun....Mad Dog 🐕 🤣 
    Dave Carpentier
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    Options

Hi @Mad Dog_2 , I'm seeing a book here! However, it looks like the title "Horsing Around" has been well used. You'll want to come up with a different title B)

Yours, Larry

One cannot copyright a title, so, if Matt wants to, he can freely use "Horsing Around." On the other hand, he could employ a variation like "Around Horses." That approach has been used before, as when John Dean played on Barry Goldwater's book.
    Mad Dog_2Larry Weingarten
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Nah..horses are a huge part of my life, but
    The book will be about my life in Plumbing and Heating and all my influences and turns.  My philosophy. Interesting  Background info .  Tons of pictures...from these 4 decades in   I hope I xan go another 40...never know.. Thanks..Mad 🐕 Dog 
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Hey Lamb..I hope you got alot of free ice cream. I wooda...  mad dog 

Not a bite. Every item had to be accounted for. Anything I ate I had to pay retail for.
    Mad Dog_2Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    When we worked at Burger 🍔 King in HS, we would hook our friends up big time.  E had alot of fun.  That great song night 🌙 shift had just came out and we'd play it in the back all night  mad dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I did tons of Hay too...and I was highly allergic...sneezing...hives  ..I couldn't wait till the end of the last  field because the Ice Cold Genny Cream Ales 🍺 Came out...mmmmm..Dan delivred milk overnight on Long Island when we still had alot of Dairy Farms   Mad Dog
  • FStephenMasek
    FStephenMasek Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Long time ago - I'll be 66 this year.

In high school - user at a drive-in movie place in St. Charles, Missouri - we called it The Dump. The mafia supposedly owned it, but the manager would chase everyone away from the ticket booth and was rumored to then sell the same ticket over and over to late arrivals.....

College - the Army Corps, doing and surveys. Many of the crews were drunks. They had money for tires, but not alignments, so the tires on the Suburbans would develop substantial ridges and then be replaced. We stayed in some awful motels in Missouri and some surrounding states. One restaurant had the best blueberry pancakes I've ever had, even to this day.

College - American Digital Systems - installing equipment to monitor water levels in sewers, to find inflow and infiltration problems. The equipment was octal (base 8), and I became good at octal math that summer.
    Author of Illustrated Practical Asbestos: For Consultants, Contractors, Property Managers & Regulators
    Mad Dog_2Solid_Fuel_Man
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 490
    Options
      The fun & interesting part of haying is the creatures that get packed in the bales with the hay; many alive.  Snakes, mice, chipmunks, birds, bees, grasshoppers, crickets, etc. There is life in the haymow.

Mad Dog_2CLambSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Dave Carpentier
    Options
    The hay bale stories.. ugh.. only did square bale jobs a handful of times, but I remember some frustrations.
    String so tight, cant get your glove in.. or string too slack and the bale explodes out the side on ya.
    Stack a triangle on the sled and when you dump it onto the field it falls over.
    Itchy everywhere and sweating badly.
    Fun stuff.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Yeah and if the hay didn't dry right it would get "shafty"  (moldly) And the horses would get suck..especially because horses can't vomit...its one way....Mad Dog
  • Dave Carpentier
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

horses can't vomit...

Well I never knew. Seems so unfair.

Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Yep..once they eat something bad...they are screwed! Asbestos...turned my favorite Thoroughbred Gelding El Bombay's face permanently white...took the pigment right out in two days after ingesting it in the stall when another horse 🐎 exposed it with a kick through the wall. (Few people realize how deadly and dangerous it is working around ALL horses, but Thoroughbreds are the most wild and unpredictable. Eating too much grain...My pop taught me all this. He said you MUST keep the barrel tops on  of grain to keep rats 🐀 and mice out, but even more important was so that a loose, wandering horse wouldn't get in to it.  A
    Horse left to his own druthers will eat, and eat, and eat (thus the expression 😆 eating like a horse!) Till he keels over in pain. If you can't get him to pass it quickly, he will burst his intestines with the dry grain swelling and die!  The last thing a Horseman will do is TRY to get him up, string his head up high over a barn beam,  almost totally vertically (kissing the sky) and force gallons of mineral down his gullet, usually 😄 with some Scotch, Bourbon, even Rum water was left over from the night before.. They fought you less and got them tipsy 🤣 which relaxed them.  This was no joke and the whole barn would gather around watch & help.  If this morphed in to Twisted Gut, the last resort was invasive surgery.  They didn't stand still for this or take it lying down, flipping out every few minutes and launching themselves airborne to try to get their tied up head free...1200lbs of Horse exerted tremendous force, thrust and torque as the broke halters and heavy ropes...what a seen.  I miss my 🐎 Horses  mad Dog 
    rick in Alaska
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    The one post about rotting fish entrails reminded me of 1983. Me and the Football Team were hitting Jones Beach for the day and I needed big, new cooler we had in the garage for our "Wheat sodas"   and Go-Go Juice (Orange 🍊 juice and a little bit of everything from your father's bar so he wouldn't notice) .  Ok.  There's the cooler...I go to grab it and it's HEAVY...HMM 😒 I take it on the driveway and pry the top open...
    Like The descriptions of Dante's Inferno...THE MOST HORRENDOUS smell 😫 ever...I've smelled the worst (badly decomposing human bodies,  Dental Cuspidor drains, water fountain drains, un maintained grease traps)  this takes the cake !!!!+  Several dozen rotting, maggot squirming Bunker (menhaden) my Older Brother Bart forgot to empty.  He did that with my Shotgun, leaving it in the case after a nasty, rainy day of Duck Hunting Cold Spring Harbor.  I go to check it when returns and its a RUST MESS...THAT COST HIM. After violent 🤢 vomiting I dumped the fish and spent and hour scrubbing it with bleach hit water pine sol....NO GOOD $200BUCKS down the drain  mad Dog 
    CLamb
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Dave, didn't you use a "hay hook".....D handle with Captain Hook on the end, about 14-16" long.

Our small square bales were wire tied.

The "real Cowboy" methods.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    We just used our bare hands...the first night they'd be raw.. but after a few days you're hands toughened up.  As the stacks got higher, you had to throw higher and higher. No one tougher than country farm boys....Mad Dog 
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,705
    Options
    boss said stand at the exit gate, horses riding facility during a show, and don't let nobody but the fire dept in.
    ok,
    Blue convertable VW Bug pulls up, guy says "but my daughters barn is right there"
    "sorry sir, nobody but the FD"
    full time guy walks up behind me and asks if I was polite?
    "yes"
    he said "good, you just sent Paul Newman to the front gate",
    Doh !
    known to beat dead horses
    Mad Dog_2CLamb
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    That reminds me of a Martha Stewart encounter we had in Mount Desert Island Maine.  She is NOT a nice person 😕.   Especially to sweet 10 yr old girls that just wanted to shake her hand and say she admired her. We were mosying around a small antique jewelry story and were 12" away from her at the counter.  Anyway, she's full of herself.  So were are at a Customer Boat builder 20 minutes later and the owner tells us that she ordered a boat and wanted to go ahead of 77 people ahead of her.  She would pay extra  she wanted her boat NEXT WEEK!!! They smiled and she left.   She comes in a week later  Where's my boat??  Whats your name ma'am (they knew) Martha Stewart...ok whats your #?
    But do u know who I am????? Yes ma'am you're #78!   Wait your turn.  She stormed out  mad dog
    CLamb
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,705
    Options
    knew some folks that worked for her here also,
    same stories
    known to beat dead horses
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    If I had to do it over, I would have said more. My daughter was deeply hurt and in shock.  She threw out everything Martha Stewart in her room.   Mad Dog
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,022
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Some nice stories here, especially from Dave Carpentier's mention:
    I wonder why I wasnt smart enough to mark the middle point of those loonngg aluminum irrigation pipes that I had to move (and move and move).
    as it reminded me of the two hot summers working on the irrigation crew on a grass seed farm in Oregon. I remember the same thing about judging the middle point of the pipe because when you pick it up, if you don't pick it up in the very middle, it'll fight you and slow you down and get you in trouble. If you weren't fast, the field manager would start to grumble. Hard work with little pay, but I've never been so strong or tanned in my life.

And then one summer in Medford, Oregon, next to Roxy Ann mountain, on a pear orchard. Irrigation, spraying pesticides and walking up and down the rows, endlessly, looking for fire blight.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited March 2023
    Options
    A lot of farm work here...where's the City kids? Delivering pizzas 🍕, running #s for the local Mafia Boss, Cleaning up bars 🍸..the morning after!  All the free drinks a kid could want...The Half empty Buds were great until you swallowed the Marlboro Cigarettes 🚬. Butts..   Ha ha.  Cleaning vomit off the floor and sidewalk,  the bathrooms...walking "hots"  🔥(hot horses after a work out)   and shoveling horse manure at Aqueduct (yes The Racetrack is in the middle of the inner city surrounded by tough working class houses on 20 x 100 properties...no front lawn maybe a 10 x 10 square of grass). And on the other side of Kennedy Airport. We could walk to work.  Some of us would hang around the Shellbank Basin, Long Skinny canal that runs North to South behind the stores on Cross Bay Blvd.  The boat.captains would throw yas 20 bucks to scrub and swab the decks of the charter boats.  My other option, my mothers Side of the Fambly, Kearns, had/have 5 funeral homes with jobs for EVERBODY!!! yeah!  My grandmother Ethel would do the.make.up and hair providing dignity at the end of life  thats the way this Depression Era poor girl looked at it.  My father, the Always business workaholic who thrived on it..like me  would  be at the Racetrack at 530am schooling horses in the Starting gate till 930am in all weather.  Run home for ☕ coffee, switch in to his Pall bearer suit, do 2 or 3 carries for 10 bucks cash each.  (Kearns still does shoulder carries! ) at local churches..run back home shower change..back to.Raceteack for 1pm first race Post time.  Work the 9  race card, doing woodcarving in the 45 minutes between each race that was Dead time...some guys snoozed,  Read papers, read  Dirty magazines or talked...my father took orders from Famous owners and trainers..."Bart, I need a Desk Pen set with this stables Silks on it...can you make us a handcarved sign for our barn or farm?  Tack Room.  He gave many away to the hardworking poor backstretch workers but had no problem charging The Whitney's, Phipps, Vanderbilt, Schiffs, and Rockefeller the full rate and they were glad to pay.  I wish I could locate all his work and buy a few back..dreams...So yeah..we city folk had interesting jobs too. I did all if them aforementioned but #s runners.  We were law abiding and worked very hard, The Sweeneysand The Kearns famblies. But my freinds and neighbors were involved.  Hey Johnny..your father is always around and wears track suits AND sells cigarettes and fire works out of the basement...what does he do?
    "He WORKS FOR A LIVIN..."  In other words, DONT ASK AGAIN!  HA HA.  Hey we all gotta eat...right?  Mad Dog 
    Dave Carpentier