Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Multi zone Ductless mini-split Cooling only systems

Options
I have 3-4 zones and would like to install a mini split system. The zones are 3 bedrooms and one large open space.

I've seen some 1-zone cooling only systems for $1k online. But all the multi-zone units are heating and cooling and the price jumps significantly. I just need a cooling system.

Thanks

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    This is the best place I have found, but they are heating and cooling as you mention. It's possible the price doesn't jump much due to the heating ability, but due to the multi-zone aspect.

I don't know what folks around here think of this place, but I've had very good service from them.

https://iwae.com/shop/heating-air-conditioning/full-systems/ductless-split-systems/?zones=323
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    The price difference for cooling only was not that much difference so why not ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    Almost all the manufacturers have gone all heat pumps.

Be advised on line purchases of mini splits YOU deal with warranty issues.

Good luck
    branimal
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Is this a DIY project? Most (legitimate) contractors wont install, guarantee, or warranty homeowner supplied equipment. Yes there will be a markup. Get over it. Theres nothing in this world that doesn't.
    You can get quotes from reputable contractors outlining your budget and needs.
    It seems like everyone is making ductless systems now so an installing
    contractor/dealer who is familiar with their brand pays dividends when it comes to maintenance and repairs.
    BTW, pricing is not discussed here.
  • branimal
    branimal Member Posts: 210
    Options
    I did some reading and @ethicalpaul and @pecmsg are right .... once you go beyond one zone, manufacturers have heat pumps on the multi zone systems. I don't really need heat b/c I have a one pipe steam heating throughout the building.

In any case I am still interested in mini-splits. Here's the floorplan for the unit I'm renovating. Am I correct in my assessment that this is a 4 zone space?

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    The heat pump may provide some savings during the shoulder seasons, when you only need a small fraction of the capacity of the steam boiler, and certainly it will be simpler to operate just the heat pump on those days when you need heat in the morning and cooling in the afternoon.
    branimalethicalpaul
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    I'd say 4 heads. Each br. and the open space.
    Mitsubishi and Daikin offer a kind of fossil fuel kit for their ductless systems. Hardwired in conjunction with the steam thermostat, it cant be set for auto switch over using time or ODT. I've only read about it a little but they're out there.

P.S. The bed skirt is too close to the fireplace. Safety first.
    branimal
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    Spend the money for a good one. There are A LOT of cheap minis out there that may not last real long and parts can be hard to get. Best bet is find a great contractor and go with what he's had the best results from. After trying a couple of other brands, we settled on Mitsubishi. Can get pricey, especially the hyper heat, but quality is there and great support. Amazing to feel an air source heat pump putting out toasty air when it is below zero!
  • ratio
    Options
    FWIW, the Mitsubishi design software is freely available on the interwebz, you can find it here. While necessary for the big VRF systems, it knows about mini splits as well. Also, all the service manuals are available there as well. I wish every mfgr did something similar.
    branimal
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    branimal said:

....I don't really need heat b/c I have a one pipe steam heating throughout the building.

If your single source of heat for the whole building fails at 3am on a holiday weekend you will be very glad you spend a few extra $$ on a mini-split system that also provides heat.

ethicalpaulbranimal
  • ratio
    Options
    Around here, some of us would say that if your heat pump mini split failed at 3am on a holiday weekend you will be very glad you saved a few $$$ by not tearing out you existing heat. :smiley::smiley::smiley:

But that's a little far off topic. To add at least a touch of content, I'll say that any savings that may (appear to) be obtained by purchasing a 'cheap' system will be eaten up by the long-term cost of a cheap system. It's not terribly hard to do a good job of it, but takes training, some expensive tools, and experience to do it right. IOW, it's a lot easier (read cheaper!) to to a poor job.

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Times are changing with ductless, there’s been murmurings about larger multi-zones (a 4 zone isn’t small) and tiny bedrooms being “less than ideal”. But, they work, so let it rip. The heat loss in this floor plan is teensy. A small mini ducted system would be best
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Canucker