Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condenser Pad

I am going to be pouring a large concrete pad for a condenser . My question is this , How do I know at what size pad that I should install Re-bar? Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    How big is the condenser, how heavy. If its a regular residential, you probably just need WWF (welded wire fabric)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welded_wire_mesh
    steve
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I’d argue you don’t even need that for residential.
    Steve Minnich
  • bean
    bean Member Posts: 34
    8 Ton Carrier . Pad must also be larger to incorporate fence cover (vandalism)'.
    Tinman
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I'd grab the install instructions and see how much clearance you need on all sides and above. At a minimum, 3ft all around would make a tech not curse you.
    steve
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    A related question: what is the pad going to rest on? If it is properly compacted subbase and base -- 90 to 95 percent modified Proctor -- and that base is level and smooth, and the slab is a reasonable thickness, then you probably only need the welded wire. On the other hand, if you aren't going to or aren't able to compact the subbase and base, then you are counting on the rebar to hold the concrete together to spread the load to where the base can sustain it. And at that point, may I respectfully suggest that you get a licensed or registered Civil Engineer to answer your question... since there is no one good answer, never mind a rule of thumb.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    In general make the pad 6" larger than the equipment on all 4 sides. Check clearances. If it's a breathable fence (chain link) you could cheat on the clearance to the fence but you need access for the condenser coil cleaning and service Pad 4" thick with wire mesh set on top of compacted gravel
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    If the security fence isn’t removable then 36” all around.