Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Prestige TriangleTube Water Heater crazy humming noise - timer setting?

FJBrown
FJBrown Member Posts: 3
Hi. I have a Prestige TriangleTube tankless water heater connected to a water storage tank and radiant heat. Every day a 5.10am something crazy turns on and it makes a super loud humming noise for 10 minutes before it switches off again. Its so loud we can hear it two floors up....its driving us crazy! It seems like it's not the heater itself but something in or going into the tank. I'd love any suggestions on how we could fix it - we had a plumber come out but he said he didn't understand why we had a storage tank and he couldn't help! But even without fixing the humming issue, does anyone know how we could change the timing of the noise? Its the exact same time every day and that time changed when the clocks did but I can't find any timer settings for anything on the Prestige that would cause that. Any ideas of how this might be being set? We have nest controls for the heat but nothing in those settings co-incide and we haven't used the heat at all recently so it doesn't seem to be linked to that. Any ideas welcome!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The prestige is not a tankless heater. The prestige excellence is a combi unit. Neither model has a timed feature that would come on at an exact time of day.
    Can you post a picture of your system so we can get a better idea what you have?
    Is there any chance the noise is coming from you or your neighbor's irrigation system?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    Has your Nest, by any chance, decided that you are best served if the heat comes on at around that time? They have minds of their own... and if it demands heat, it could be turning the oiler on to bring the temperature of the storage tank up...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • FJBrown
    Thanks so much for you input. I'm originally from the UK where everything is named differently so I haven't got the terminology right for our US setup, apologies. Attached are a couple of images of our setup. I'll check out the irrigation in the morning, it does at least have a timer! I don't think its the Nest because its not showing any activity for the last 2 weeks but who knows!

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Zman has a good idea, in his suggestion of an irrigation system as the guilty party.
    Have you tried to listen for the source of the sound in the boiler room, at that time? Is the boiler firing during that time?
    Maybe disconnecting the Nest for a few nights would demonstrate whether it was to blame, as the hot water zone should not be controlled by time, but only by the temperature of the water in the tank.—NBC
  • Zman
    You have a Triangle Tube (now ACV) Prestige condensing boiler with Triangle Tube Smart indirect hot water heater. The terminology difference is understandable with you being from another part of the world. The plumber you had over does not have the same excuse. Your type of system is very common is the states and IMO is the best way to handle hot water heat and DHW.

You might try getting up little before 5 and recording the sound. You could post it on here and get more opinions.

Also take a look around to where your water meter or irrigation controls are and post few pictures. I lived in a place with no pressure reducing valves once. It made an awful racket every morning when the nearby city pumps came on.
    Albert Einstein
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Do you possibly have a domestic hot water re-circulation system? I don't see a re-circ. pump in the picture. But that pump would be on a timer.
    D
  • ednelson
    ednelson Member Posts: 10
    hi my name is Ed Nelson I am in tech support at Triangle Tube
    what you described sounds as if the air/fuel mixture in the boiler is not calibrated correctly
    a combustion analyzer should be put on the boiler and dial in the combustion
    if you have any questions please give me a call I am in the office Mon - Thurs 8am - 4:30 pm eastern time and Fri. 8am - 4:00 pm
    856 228 8881 ext 155
    Thank you
    ethicalpaulJean-David Beyerkcopp
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Thanks, @ednelson
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Zman
    ednelson said:

hi my name is Ed Nelson I am in tech support at Triangle Tube
    what you described sounds as if the air/fuel mixture in the boiler is not calibrated correctly
    a combustion analyzer should be put on the boiler and dial in the combustion
    if you have any questions please give me a call I am in the office Mon - Thurs 8am - 4:30 pm eastern time and Fri. 8am - 4:00 pm
    856 228 8881 ext 155
    Thank you

@5:10 AM?
    Albert Einstein
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    combustion issue after the boiler set's cold for a period of time?the fog horn sound is very distinctive.. I'd get up early one morning and tape it like mentioned..
  • FJBrown
    Sorry for not coming back sooner. Just wanted to say thank you so much for the suggestion to check out the irrigation system which would never have occurred to me. That is what was causing it. Haven't managed to fix it making the noise yet but have at least changed the timing to a more sociable hour!
    kcopp
  • Zman does it..............again!
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    kcopp
  • janko_les
    janko_les Member Posts: 1
    hi, i have similar problem:
    take a listen...
    what do you think?
    it is solo 175
    https://youtu.be/3zL9GiYfJro
  • Zman
    Thanks definitely not the irrigation system.
    You should find a qualified tech with a combustion analyzer to tune your boiler.
    Albert Einstein