Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless boiler needs replacement.

My peerless steam oil fired boiler is on its last legs. Should I replace with another Peerless or is a different brand more reliable? Any advice.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    There are a number of good makes of boiler besides Peerless -- which is a perfectly good boiler. My usual advice on this is unless this is a do it yourself project to find out what your highly qualified (I hope) steam installer prefers to work with and service and go with that -- since installation and maintenance is more than half of getting a good steam system going.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    edited April 2019
    Peerless and Weil Mclain seem to be the most reliable and trusted. Personally (just my own opinion) I would stay away from Burnham.
    As @Jamie Hall mentioned the contractor is more important. Check"find a contractor" on this site.

Be cautious about low bidders
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    The instructions for installation must be followed at a minimum, including the proper sizing of the boiler. Don’t just do a cut and slide.
    How old is the old boiler, and why is it on death watch?—NBC
  • daniel Flaherty
    daniel Flaherty Member Posts: 21
    NBC, my current boiler was installed in 1985 and is 34 years old. The pressure gauge hasn’t worked in years, the auto fill no longer works and I have to add water manually, and now there is a slow drip from a fitting at the bottom of the glass.
    I was going to let my oil delivery company install a new boiler(since they will be the ones maintaining it) but I wonder about their competence in this matter. The last technician that came told me the water tank wasn’t full and pointed to the full glass. I told him that in steam systems the glass should only be filled halfway. He didn’t know that. I live on Long Island New York and am looking at different installers. -Dan F
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @daniel Flaherty

The items that need repair sound pretty minor to me. I wouldn't rush into anything. Your oil company dosent s0und like they know what they are doing.

Check "find a contractor" on this site. I think there are a few good contractors in your area. Not sure if @JohnNY covers Long Island or can recommend someone

Most important is to find a contractor that REALLY knows steam. There are not that many. But any contractor will tell you they DO know steam. Be cautious
    ethicalpaul
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Some pictures of your present boiler, and a few of the radiators, would help us evaluate the early installation.
    As Ed said, the leaking sight glass is an easy fix, however, if the competence of the oil company’s previous maintenance is in question, then a more expert opinion would be needed.
    Ironically, the non-functioning auto fill could have been a blessing, (as long as the LWCO was functioning). How often have you had to add water?—NBC
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    The pressure gauge hasn't worked in years yet the oil company hasn't corrected that?
  • daniel Flaherty
    nope. They do an annual cleaning and put in new injector nozzle. New burner a few years ago.
  • daniel Flaherty
    I’ve checked out the new Peerless WBV and EC series and they all have one steam pipe extending out of the top of the boiler. My current one (Peerless TW-4) has 2 pipes feeding steam up. Is this correct and are the WBzv or EC series the correct replacements??
  • Jamie Hall
    There is only one way to determine the correct replacement boiler -- add up the EDR values of all the connected radiation, and match the EDR output of the replacement to that. Don't size it on the existing boiler. Don't size it -- unless you are willing to do a fair amount of rather delicate adjusting -- to the heat loss. Size it to the radiation.

From the sound of your comments, I wouldn't let your oil company anywhere near the job of either selecting or replacing the boiler -- or even figuring out whether you need to or not. As has been said, find a competent steam contractor. There are several who service Long Island, but it depends on just where on the island.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I'm guessing they also haven't mentioned how your current boiler is incorrectly piped, I agree find someone competent.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • daniel Flaherty
    KC_jones, what’s wrong with it? I guess I need to refer to Dans Steam heating book again.
  • daniel Flaherty
    edited April 2019
    Here’s another shot
  • daniel Flaherty
  • Jamie Hall
    edited April 2019
    For starters... it goes riser/main takeoff/riser/main takeoof/equalizer. Oops. Header same diameter as riser. Oops. No swing joints. Oops. Maybe more I can't see...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Tinmanethicalpaul
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    @Jamie Hall has it. improper order on the header and lack of swing joints. An up-sized header is better, but on a smaller boiler the world isn't ending necessarily.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaul
  • daniel Flaherty
    Thanks for your advice KC, JH, and NBC. I’ve gotten out my copy of Lost art of Steam Heating and refreshing myself on it. I’ll check out the contractors on the site here till I find a good one. -Dan
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    @Danny Scully would be your best bet on LI!

Or @JohnNY if he goes out there
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    edited April 2019
    Where on Long Island are you @daniel Flaherty? I operate Scully’s Plumbing with my brother and father in the Nassau County area. We’d love to help in any way. Give us a call at 516-887-1122, or visit us online at http://www.scullysplumbing.com