Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help...

Options
not_a_plumber
not_a_plumber Member Posts: 1
My parents are getting work done at their house. Mainly their pool and concrete in the backyard. In the process to gas lines were opened and then capped. In short their gas was turned off. So they call me over to get their hot water back. I turned the gas on at the main, and the meter is moving... slowly. Long story shorter, the pilot will not reignite. Do I have to wait for the system to pressurize? Please help. Thank you in advance.

I am not a plumber.

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    I intend this comment in the best interest of you and your folks. Get a professional out there ASAP. You really should not be working on gas if you need to ask such questions.
    IronmanGroundUpRich_49
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    If the gas was left off it should have been done for a reason.
    If it was supposed to be left off, the main should have been locked.
    Call the contractor and see what's up.
    Ironman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    You need to find out IF the gas line is even safe to be turned on. That's #1

2d if the meter is moving and nothing in the house is running SHUT IT OFF something leaking.

Don't take a chance. What kind of contractor cuts and caps a gas line and leaves the customer without gas.

An UNLICENSED ONE. How do you know he capped the gas line right?
    HotanCoolIronman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I would call the gas company and state that there is a leak somewhere in the house and state that you have shut the gas off at the meter.
    Most gas companies that receive a report of a gas leak must some how address the issue.
    This may get the contractors attention and possibly the building inspection/permit people might also check in.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    I might add that you may not smell gas from the leak, particularly if it is underground somewhere, until something blows up.

Please do as others have said -- shut off the gas and notify the gas company.

Then, after they have sniffed around and report no problems on their side of the meter, get a competent gas fitter in there to find the problem and fix it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    As a former gas company employee I am telling you to call the local gas company NOW! Do not wait call NOW!
  • HotanCool
    HotanCool Member Posts: 55
    Options
    He turned the main back on?! :o
  • HotanCool
    HotanCool Member Posts: 55
    Options

As a former gas company employee I am telling you to call the local gas company NOW! Do not wait call NOW!

Hey Tim,I joined the Grid after you left. The guys told me the best training they ever had was from you, up in the old 2cd floor training room. It's a shame that room was dismantled and the old safety measures/training went with it.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Yes it was a very difficult time for me when they decided to get rid of training. I have however survived and when I left Prov Gas at age 55, (I am now 79) I have had a very interesting journey with my knowledge of gas. I own and operate Gas Appliance Service Training and Consulting and the Gas Training Institute here in RI. So I am still a gas man!
    HotanCool