Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LG minisplit on RV

Hi, I recently had a friend install a LG mini split on my RV. Everything seems to be working, but it keeps tripping the GFI on my house Plugs. Have tried different circuits, but I’m wondering if he wired it wrong and it’s drawing too much power. It will run for 5 seconds and then it will trip. In cold weather it will run fine, it’s only when it’s hot outside.

I had an electrician out and he said it was a 30amp circuit on the house and the unit is only a 30amp unit and there was nothing he could do.

Here is the link to the unit I bought. https://www.acwholesalers.com/LG-LS120HXV/p56619.html Any thoughts to what might be happening here?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    A GFCI trip's when it senses current going to ground not on amperage.

30 Amp GFCI receptacle?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    If you installed a unit that needs a 30 amp breaker than the running load for that unit is probably around 20-24 amps.

If you only have a 30 amp circuit to feed your rV then you have issues that only a licensed electrician can resolve, you won't be able to run anything except the mini split without overloading your electrical service.... not your friend that installed illegal wiring.

What is that cord in the picture for?

If your GFCIs your tripping are unrelated to the mini split I would suspect something is wired wrong
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I have been going round and round with a friend of mine with RV power issues.

The bottom line is that most RV's don't like being plugged into GFI's. It probably has something to do with the way the charge controllers are built. I don't know of a reason to plug an RV into a GFI. After all, the RV has it's own panel and GFI's on code required circuits.

I offered to wire a 30 amp non GFI plug for free if he stops asking me why the GFI trips sometimes. :)
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    That looks like a 16 ga extension cord, which is too small for 30 amps. If you actually have a 30 amp circuit you shouldn’t be able to plug that cord into it as 30 amp outlet use a unique plug, to prevent exactly what you are doing.

Hard to tell, but it also looks like the conduit connector is broken on that electrical box.

For me the tripping GFI is the least of your worries given what I see in that photo and what you have said.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    GFI is probably tipping because the extension cord is too smal. Need a heavy duty cord with 12 gauge stranded wire for 30 amps. Could be what’s causing it to trip. Need a heavy duty cord. 30 amp should have a special pug too just for that reason.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    I read this crazy thing called an Installation Manual. It says the 115VAC mega 12000 BUT unit should have a 20 AMP breaker (MOP) and MCA is 13.5 Amps.

Sooo. Cord is still too small. Not sure why it’s tripping. Could be a loose wire possibly. Not sure these are supposed ot be on GFCI’s.
  • MikeT_Swampeast_MO
    MikeT_Swampeast_MO Member Posts: 27
    You need a DEDICATED hookup for the RV! Have the receptacle and all associated wiring sized to the needs of the RV with the A/C running.

RV hookups do not have or require GFCIs in part because, like homes, they are used inside at specific areas and because the multi power source nature of an RV electrical system can cause a GFCI feeding the entire RV to detect an imbalance that's not a true fault and poses no danger.
    Zman