Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler Needed?

Options
Karl22
Karl22 Member Posts: 7
For about 2 weeks i needed to add water everyday to our single pipe system, i searched like crazy trying to find any leak (water or steam) but nothing. Last night the boiler kicked on but being warm in north NJ it only needed to run a short time. I was about to go to sleep & something made me go & check the boiler and saw the floor under the boiler was showing signs of water. Apparently the heat was evaporating the damp floor which is why it wasn't noticeable at first. It also appears that steam is going up the chimney, so after 40 years it's time to replace it.
I've seen here a few brands and or model # of preferred boilers mentioned previously in some posts but i can't find those postings. I'm sure i'll be posting with more questions but 1st is what brands/model are preferred & what should i stay away from. The current boiler is a 135,000 BTU Sears that uses a thermo-pile? and heats a cape cod style house (about 1200 sq ft) 8 radiators plus 1 basement ceiling radiator.
Any info is appreciated, thanks.
Karl

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,853
    Options
    On the good side the winter is almost over.
    Take your time and do not rush for a replacement
    The installing Contractor is the most important aspect to consider.
    Check the contractor locator map for recommendations.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    @Karl22

This may be your lucky day. Well, you not lucky having to replace your boiler but there is a happy side to this.

Check "find a contractor" on this site. Several of the best contractors who hang around here are in Jersey, and they really are steam experts

Also as @pecmsg said you basically made it through the winter which is a big + no need to rush because an emergency replacement is never as good.

Save up some $$$ and find the right contractor. Cheaper may not be better.

I prefer Peerless but I would leave that to your contractor to pick the boiler that is the best fit

Good luck
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    As has been said, check the "Find a Contractor" tab here. You have some excellent Steam Pros in NJ. Also, you can't buy a replacement boiler based on the size of the current one or the size of the house or the number of radiators in the house. You need to calculate the total EDR of those radiators and match that EDR to the Steam output of the new boiler's Sq. Ft. of steam output on the boiler plate. Piping and pick-up factors are already built into the boiler's output as overhead so just match total radiator EDR to Steam Output. It's almost a given the current boiler is over sized, unless the last installer, 40 years ago really cared and did his job right.
  • Karl22
    Options
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the replies, what stinks is i don't trust the low water cutoff so i shut down the boiler at night & it was quite chilly at 4am. I had a local guy stop by, he was suggesting these 3 brands: Weil McLaine, Slant Fin & Force. Obviously it's stressing as i'm not educated enough. I do read posts here on a daily basis after getting great advice last year.
    Karl
  • pecmsg
    Options
    Karl22 said:

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the replies, what stinks is i don't trust the low water cutoff so i shut down the boiler at night & it was quite chilly at 4am. I had a local guy stop by, he was suggesting these 3 brands: Weil McLaine, Slant Fin & Force. Obviously it's stressing as i'm not educated enough. I do read posts here on a daily basis after getting great advice last year.
    Karl

Did this guy measure the radiators or just base the job on what was there BTU wise?

I think we all know the answer to that question.

@EzzyT is the guy you want
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    @karl22 you can reach me at 201-887-8856.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    pecmsgDouble D
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,165
    Options
    Weil McLain and Peerless are what I prefer, but the brand of the boiler matters much less than the contractor that's installing it. A skilled installer is the key to a high quality job. The brand of boiler isn't as important as proper sizing and installation. I would stay away from Burnham due to a high rate of premature failure.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    A lot of people like Weil McLain because they are less costly and a good boiler. I think the Force and Smith may be a rebadged Weil McLain. As @EBEBRATT-Ed said, Peerless is a great boiler. Thicker walls on the Cast iron block. There are a lot of mixed reviews on the Slant Finn. Don't just call a "Local guy". Get a real steam Pro in there. I think @EBEBRATT-Ed and @Dave0176 and maybe @Danny Scully , possibly @JohnNY may serve your area. They are all excellent and each will tell you which boiler they prefer and why.
    JohnNY
  • Karl22
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @pecmsg "Did this guy measure the radiators or just base the job on what was there BTU wise"?
    He asked sq ft of house & how many radiators, said 100,000 btu is sufficient.
    @EzzyT i left you a voicemail.
    Karl
  • Karl22
    Options
    @pecmsg i'm guessing he didn't properly size the BTU output?
  • pecmsg
    Options
    > @Karl22 said:
    > @pecmsg i'm guessing he didn't properly size the BTU output?

Seeing as his Steam is measured in EDR .....
    Yes
  • pecmsg
    Options
    How Steam is measured in
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    > @Karl22 said:
    > Hi guys,
    > Thanks for the replies, what stinks is i don't trust the low water cutoff so i shut down the boiler at night & it was quite chilly at 4am. I had a local guy stop by, he was suggesting these 3 brands: Weil McLaine, Slant Fin & Force. Obviously it's stressing as i'm not educated enough. I do read posts here on a daily basis after getting great advice last year.
    > Karl

I find that slant fin steamers have a fairly short life span. 15 years or so. Just my small sample size.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    > @Fred said:
    > A lot of people like Weil McLain because they are less costly and a good boiler. I think the Force and Smith may be a rebadged Weil McLain. As @EBEBRATT-Ed said, Peerless is a great boiler. Thicker walls on the Cast iron block. There are a lot of mixed reviews on the Slant Finn. Don't just call a "Local guy". Get a real steam Pro in there. I think @EBEBRATT-Ed and @Dave0176 and maybe @Danny Scully , possibly @JohnNY may serve your area. They are all excellent and each will tell you which boiler they prefer and why.

I am also a Peerless fan(along with Weil Mclain). Just wondering about thickness of walls. The Peerless boilers are heavier than others but they are also taller. The extra weight might be attributed to extra height rather than extra thickness. Just wondering. As others have said, installer is everything.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I think @clammy is in Jersey as well so you have a number of great steam man to choose from. I knew money is important but a properly installed boiler lasts a lot longer than a boiler that is just thrown in.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge