Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Manometer brand suggestion.

Intplm.
Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
I am looking to buy a manometer. What brand Manometer should I purchase? I haven't purchased or used one in years and the one I had is M.I.A. I don't plan on using it much but find that I need one.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    regular manometer with fluid??.......Dwyer.

Electronic... don't know , don't have one. UEI makes them and I am sure their are others
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    I'm thinking it's long over due that I go digital
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited January 2019
    Field Piece has a new one that will even calibrate pressure switches. Works great, but I'd have to go out to my cold truck to get the model. :#

I've got a very good memory; it's just getting very short.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEVEusaPAIntplm.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    I really like the Fieldpiece SDMN6 I picked up after my SDMN5 came up missing. I also have a selection of Dwyer Magnehelics that I use for assorted air-side measurements, and one with a Buna-N diaphragm for use on natural gas.
    Intplm.SuperTech
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    ^^ ^^
    That's it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Intplm.
  • ratio
    Yep. Like I said, I like it & the one it's based on. It's a little sensitive to temperature, you'll want to zero it frequently, but even with that it's an overall winner.

Comes with a nice carry bag & a handful of very useful accessories, in particular the adapters to nipple on to the gas valves that have a teat with a li'l Allen set screw in the bottom instead of the usual 1/8 NTP port. (Protip: just crack them a half turn or so, you don't need to take them out!) Another adapter that I use all the time is a ≈3" x 1/8 NTP nipple to get on to the test ports when the mfgr has thoughtfully put obstructions around the gas valve.

Intplm.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    +1 for SDMN6.

The main reason I love the fieldpiece is each pressure port is it’s own pressure sensor. So I can use that one manometer to check two separate pressures at once. I had the UEI before this one, and it had only once sensor with a dedicated + and - port.

I carry the SDMN6 with me and have an SDMN5 in the truck. Nice for setting up four stage RBI and Lochinvar water heaters. Can set all four pressures with only two manometers.
    Never stop learning.
    ratioIntplm.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    The water manometers are always accurate and never need calibration. 😎
    Steve Minnich
    Intplm.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    I use a Testo digital. Once every blue moon I will tee into a water tube and do a little diagnostic testing and the Testo is nails. Spot on compared to the water.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Intplm.
  • ratio
    @Mike_Sheppard, that's similar to what originally prompted me to get the '6 & the Buna-N Magnehelic, setting four gas valves & monitoring inlet pressure on a few 50 ton Lennox RTUs. Having a hot spare for when my '5 came up missing was a side benefit.

Sure did make the commissioning go fast though.

Intplm.
  • B_Sloane
    B_Sloane Member Posts: 56
    I bought UEI the first time ...
    Don't !!
    Since then I purchased several Dwyer electronics, both are now 10+ years old
    I use them weekly