Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Blank

nickmg555
nickmg555 Member Posts: 16
edited September 2019 in Oil Heating

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Combustion analysis?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    I don't even know where to start on the list of things which could possibly be amiss.

I do know that I would want to get a really good oil burner technician in there, with his instruments and all, to work on it. You are essentially doing exploratory work just in figuring out what nozzle (size, configuration, angle, etc.) will work properly, and that is going to take some time.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    I'm sorry but if you own that many properties you can afford to hire a trained professional and shouldn't be attempting something as dangerous as screwing with oil fired equipment that probably should have been replaced a long time ago, and without combustion analysis equipment that ensure the safety of the individuals using the appliance.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Opening the transformer will give the burner less air.

Look, we don't want someone getting hurt. You really need a combustion analyzer and a technician to set this burner up.....if it matches up to the boiler you have size wise etc.

Oil burners, gas burners, boilers, furnaces and electrical work...they are not hobbies.

there is a reason for licenses, insurance etc.
    SuperTech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @nickmg555 said:
    >I matched everything up swapped the nozzles and checked the pressure and everything else so it should be a modern version ready to go!

Apparently not everything else.
    Are you a certified oil heating tech? With all your properties you should have a qualified company doing maintenance and repairs. Shy away from the typical slumlord practices.

How do you know the "modern" burner is acceptable for the furnace? Or is it a boiler?
    The only way to know it's right is with a combustion analysis and smoke test. That's it. End of story.
    If heating is your trade then I apologize, but something tells me your fiddling with things you shouldn't be.
    My mother always said it'll make you go blind.
  • nickmg555
    edited September 2019
  • nickmg555
    edited September 2019
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    Even a little basement heater can quickly produce enough CO to kill everyone inside the building. I don't want to encourage you do something unsafe, especially considering it doesn't sound like an urgent matter by your own admission.

I advise you to call a pro because considering the the risk factors involved that is probably the least expensive option and the one with the highest probability for a happy outcome for all parties involved.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    @nickmg555 Don't be so defensive or offended by what these guys are telling you. They are Pros and they do everything they can (on their own time) to help everyone that visits this site. Sometimes they have to tell posters that they are playing with fire (literally) and the unpleasant biproducts of that fire. It may sound offensive but they also have to assume most posters really don't know how to diagnose and resolve some technical and oftentimes potentially life threatening problems. People don't like to be told they need to get professional assistance. They come here hoping to be able to fix the problem on their own but no one wants to feel like they are offering assistance that is counter to ensuring the safe operation of what can be dangerous installation/implementations. They are trying to give you good advice. Accept it for that, even if it's not what you want to hear. I realize this is not your principal source of heat but all it takes is one use to be catastrophic. The fact you took a burner out of another appliance and installed it in this one, I am sure set off alarms. It may work or it may not. The unit and these guys are telling you something isn't right and without a combustion analysis, no one can determine what is wrong.
    ratioSuperTech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I've been servicing oil systems for over 30 years.
    What's a spark box?
    If you want it to run properly, you cant afford not to have an expert out to look at it.
    Sorry to upset you, but nobody here will help someone troubleshoot a problem if they're not experienced or have the correct tools and instruments to do a proper repair. Sometimes things go BOOM!
    I certainly wouldn't sign my name to it.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Sincerely,
    I.M. Fletcher
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Well said @Fred