Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this Relief Valve install dangerous and illegal?

coolfx35
coolfx35 Member Posts: 77
Need some plumbing opinion. See picture below, it's on a New Steam Boiler. Thank you.

Is this install dangerous? any good ideas to make it legal? There's a big pipe under it. Many thanks.

Comments

• Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    As mentioned in the other thread it should be upright.
    A tee with another close nipple and a plug would provide a vertical prv and a skim port.
    kcopp
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    It's dangerous in that the seat is susceptible to collecting debris and clogging. It needs to be turned upright. Unscrew the copper pipe and rotate the elbow and valve 3/4 of a turn clockwise to get the valve to stand straight up. Then do something else to get a discharge pipe back into the threads and pointed toward the ground terminating about 6" off the floor.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,669
    I'm curious, what does the tag hanging on it say?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    It probably says must be installed with handle in the upright position.
    ChrisJDZoroSuperTechkcopp
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Steam boiler??? are you sure?
  • ChrisJ
    GBart said:

Steam boiler??? are you sure?

It's a steam boiler that was installed by a "professional".
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    just seems awful low in the block for a steam boiler, like at the water line
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,843
    Professional..........
    Someone thats Paid.

Qualified Professional...............
    Someone that's Properly trained, is experienced and gets Paid!
    SuperTech
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    I'd add trained and experienced. Plenty of book smart professionals that have never been in front off actual equipment. Hands on experience is worth at least as much as "training" Although not an either or.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ChrisJ
    edited November 2018
    Regardless,

I believe the orientation for both hot water and steam boiler pressure relief valves is the same, no? The stem must be vertical?

@pecmsg and @hot rod_7 It sure would be nice if there was a reliable way to find "Qualified experienced professionals" for residential work................. Aside from word of mouth which is highly unreliable.

Highest vs lowest bidder doesn't work either.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    SlamDunk said:
    Apparently looking at pictures is just as hard as reading.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    edited November 2018
    C'mon, no need to beat a person up who is looking for help. I know I have paid good money to smooth talking contractors and ended up with a sub par craftsmanship.

I work with geniuses who can't turn a wrench or install a hook to hang a picture. But, literally, they are geniuses!
  • ChrisJ
    SlamDunk said:

C'mon, no need to beat a person up who is looking for help. I know I have paid good money to smooth talking contractors and ended up with a sub par craftsmanship.

I work with geniuses who can't turn a wrench or install a hook to hang a picture. But, literally, they are geniuses!

I don't think anyone here was beating up the OP?
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    "Apparently looking at pictures is just as hard as reading."

"It's a steam boiler that was installed by a "professional"."

Being snarky isn't being helpful.

• ChrisJ
    SlamDunk said:

"Apparently looking at pictures is just as hard as reading."

"It's a steam boiler that was installed by a "professional"."

Being snarky isn't being helpful.

All of that was directed towards the contractor the OP hired which is all carried over from another thread.

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    edited November 2018
  • epic_stratton
    epic_stratton Member Posts: 18
    Leon82 said:

As mentioned in the other thread it should be upright.

A tee with another close nipple and a plug would provide a vertical prv and a skim port.

Glad I read this. Looks like mine is also mounted 270 degrees off of where it ought to be as well (too far 90 degrees clockwise, so keep on spinning I assume?) Mine is, however, mounted with a T and close nipple fortunately. Thanks for the info!