Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Smart Wi-Fi Thermostat For Steam (PSE&G Instant Rebate)

Hello everyone! Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I found out today that PSE&G in NJ is offering a pretty cool rebate on smart wi-fi thermostats. They will allow you up to 2 per household. I would require 2 since I have dual zone A/C. I need one to control both Gas-Fired Steam and A/C and 1 just for A/C (Second floor). I would like to hear from everyone their opinions or experiences of the thermostats that PSE&G are offering on instant rebate that would best suit my needs. Here is the link: https://psegmarketplace.com/collections/wifi-thermostats . Thank you everyone in advance for your valued and professional opinions and experiences!
Crown Boiler Bermuda Series model: BSI103, BTU output: 85,000, single pipe steam system

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited November 2018
    Run.

Don't walk away.... Run.

You don't want any part of their thermostats.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    HVACNUTSuperTech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    This is the 21st century version that gives electric utilities the ability to shut off your A/C during heavy peak times.
    Dont do it. Unless you like to sweat in your own home.
    I'm sure there will be a few Brown outs to shut you down regardless.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    Don't do it. It will give your utility company access to changing setpoints. This is nothing new, they were offering free programmable thermostats before WiFi thermostats were around.

For your steam system you are better off without a "smart" or programmable thermostat. It's usually best just to set it to a comfortable point and leave it there. You would probably use more gas recovering from the setback.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    All of the above. Do keep in mind that there's no such thing as a free lunch -- and PSE&G was not, last I looked, a charity...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BrianT1077
    BrianT1077 Member Posts: 108
    Hello everyone! Thank you for your input, but WOW! Even though I was expecting different answers, this really helps me with making a decision about getting a thermostat from PSE&G. With what everyone has said, does that mean that PSE&G is somehow programming these thermostats so they can manipulate them later on? I would like to change my thermostats eventually to something I can view and make changes while away. So what are your thoughts on that, especially when it comes to steam. Please also don't forget that I have 2 zone central A/C. What type of thermostat setups do you recommend in this case? Also what are your thoughts when it comes to temp sensors located elsewhere communicating with the thermostat? Thank you again!
    Crown Boiler Bermuda Series model: BSI103, BTU output: 85,000, single pipe steam system
  • I think that the gas company is more under the misapprehention that all types of heating benefit from night setback, and occupancy sensing, than they are playing “Big Brother”.
    In the future, however with electric distribution, there will no doubt be electric motors which will get a signal through the power line, (from the substation), allowing them to start in sequence, rather than all at once, overloading the grid.—NBC
    ethicalpaul
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Use a Honeywell Visionpro with WiFi. You can set cycles per hour rate (1 or 2) and still control the AC as well. Use isolation relays to call the boiler from either upstairs or downstairs thermostat. Occupancy with steam is silly. But setbacks are a matter of comfort, IMO. At night I like it cooler upstairs and by setting downstairs way back, the upstairs “takes over” with calls for heat.

FOr the ultimate in comfort and zoning, you could add a hot water zone and a coil to the downstairs AC air handler and be able to supply more heat to that zone only. I find that due ot stack effec, Downstairs overheats in mild weather and upstairs overheats in colder weather.

IN my house 20-30F it’s about perfect. <20F and downstairs is cold, >30F and downstairs is a little too warm.
  • mikeg2015
    For reference, I’m using 2 Lennox iComfort thermostats with relays to call for auxiliary heat (steam) and outdoor temp sensors for balance point control. Heat pumps are 1st stage heat.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    > @mikeg2015 said:
    > Use a Honeywell Visionpro with WiFi. You can set cycles per hour rate (1 or 2) and still control the AC as well. Use isolation relays to call the boiler from either upstairs or downstairs thermostat. Occupancy with steam is silly. But setbacks are a matter of comfort, IMO. At night I like it cooler upstairs and by setting downstairs way back, the upstairs “takes over” with calls for heat.
    >
    > FOr the ultimate in comfort and zoning, you could add a hot water zone and a coil to the downstairs AC air handler and be able to supply more heat to that zone only. I find that due ot stack effec, Downstairs overheats in mild weather and upstairs overheats in colder weather.
    >
    > IN my house 20-30F it’s about perfect. <20F and downstairs is cold, >30F and downstairs is a little too warm.

Im using a Honeywell Prestige with 3 remote wireless sensors and 5 TRVs. It does extremely well at keeping all rooms on both floors the correct temperature all year.

No relays or other thermostats needed.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mikeg2015
    That’s another good solution if you have a single AC system. WIth 2 AC’s better to still use 2 thermostats. Cooling demand upstairs is a LOT more than downstairs in most cases. I originally was going ot do just that, use a seperate thermostat for the boiler, but decided to go the other way.

Downside of TRV’s is the single set point. I like it cooler upstairs at night. I have one TRV for a small bathroom and going to add a couple downstairs I’ll add more once I downsize my boiler when I replace it.