Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water main shut-off

jerryb46
jerryb46 Member Posts: 59
has anybody out there ever used a honeywell 8043 zone valve for a water main shut-off for a house service,or knew of one used for that hook up ,thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Why?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Tinman
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776

Why?

X-2 ???
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Is it even allowed on a Potable water system?
  • jerryb46
    i'm looking into some kind of valve to make a main shut-off mechanical because I'M GETTING OLD AND PRESENT VALVE IN A TOUGH SPOT..
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Well, assuming that it's allowed -- that is, has a lead-free certificate, a valve is a valve is a valve. The biggest problem that I could see is that it -- like most zone valves -- is a power to open valve. I'm not at all sure that it is rated to be open, that is, powered, 24/7/365. Also, I'm not at all sure that I would want a valve on my water main which would close if I lost power to the house or blew a fuse or something.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Possibly have the old gate valve changed or leave it and install a new ball valve that is easier to operate in an acessable location
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited November 2018
    Here's my what you want. It's only powered to reach a position. However as @Jamie Hall said if you lose power it closes automatically. Most do.

They come in ss also.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    A floating actuator would only move when powered, without spring return it'd stay until commanded to drive closed; pick a compatible valve that's got the appropriate ratings.

I think I'd have a manual valve right beside it, & exercise the powered valve once a month or so.

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Why complicate it?

1. How often do you have to shut off the water? I shut mine off every time I go on vacation.
    2. Why not get a plumber to put in a new ball valve, then you can put a cheater on the handle if you need the extra leverage.
    steve
  • kevink1955
    kevink1955 Member Posts: 88
    About 35 years ago I used Honeywell zone valves in a ground water heat pump system, they to had the not for potable water warning but since I was not drinking the well water I went ahead anyway.

About 20 years later I was working on the system and leaned on the water piping. I hardly put any pressure on it at all and a valve snapped off at the body. I put the same pressure on the other valve and it also snapped off.

A little research found it is called something like Dezinkafukation (no where near the correct spelling) It's a big problem in boats where thru hull fittings can be snapped off and sink a boat.

I hope the new generation of brass does not suffer from this as I wouldn't want all my new certified lead free ball valves snapping off although I have heard of some brass pex fittings having the problem
  • jerryb46
    Thanks to all for the time too answer,have made up my mind ,Have a ball now and found a motor operated hook up that operates via Z-wave sensor and manual.Have been in the Plumb-Heating trade over 40 yr just wanted some other feed back,Thanks to all.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    More and more of those leak detection and shut off devices on the market, so with wifi. There are water heater types, as well as whole house systems.

They basically use a motorized valve. Need to use a high Cv valve like a motorized ball valve.

This could be a reasonably priced option.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream