Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Farthest room is 3-5 degrees colder than rest of house/new boiler concerns

KK85
KK85 Member Posts: 26
Hi all, this is my first post on this great and very informative site.

Our son's room which faces north and is the farthest from the boiler heats up to the desired temperature, but the temperature drops 3-5 degrees below the rest of the house while the steam boiler is off. The room is located on the second floor and risers branch off the longer main steam pipe. I noticed that the 2 radiators (Gorton #C on both) in the room heat up after (~10 minutes) the radiators that take off the shorter main line. From what I read on this site it sounds like a main venting issue.

I have single pipe steam heat with two main lines:
Pipe #1 is 2" in diameter and 18' in length with a gorton #1 vent at the end of it.
Pipe #2 is 2" in diameter and 36' in length with a gorton #1 vent at the end of it. Radiators on this pipe take longer to heat up.

I am not sure if I should replace both main vents with big mouth vents or just pipe #2, or if I should Insulate the pipes first with 1" fiberglass insulation.
I am also not sure if the boiler is sized correctly based on the EDR calculation, I have recessed radiators in all the room with a total of 131 section, if I use the 1.5 factor I get a total of 196.5 sq.ft but if I use 2.25 as the factor I get 294.75 sq.ft, boiler is Weil-McLain EG-35 rated for 258 sq.ft.

This boiler was installed last winter, few months after moving in the old boiler died on us after the 1st day of use. I am not too happy with the installer because he didn't skim the boiler or install a skimming port, used copper piping, never checked the main vents which were rusted.

Few weeks ago I had the boiler serviced and cleaned, pigtail was clogged and therefore replaced, skim port was installed and a quick skimming was done, both main vents were replaced with Gorton #1 and the pressure setting was brought down from 15 to .5 psi. Cleaning solution (powder that the tech mixed with water) was added, it looks like antifreeze in color.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your help. please feel free to give me your thoughts on the following issues:
-Main vents,
-If new main vents are needed should I do that first or do the Insulation first.
-Is my boiler sized correctly.
-Is my near boiler piping ok or does it need to be modified? Does the copper need to be replaced? cold water intake is connected to boiler not wet return, does this need to fixed?
-After the cleaning solution was added, the boiler makes crackling noises for few minutes when it starts, is this normal?

Once again sorry for the long post, and thanks for all of the help and advice. Please take a look at the attached pictures.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,090
    edited November 2018
    Insulation. Do it. It will make a significant difference. Also, I'd change the main vents to either Gorton #2s or Big Mouths.

You may not be able to do much for your son's room by fiddling with the heating. That sounds much more like needing more (or some?) insulation and storm windows and that sort of thing.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    KK85Canuckerkcoppdelta T
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,715
    I'd start with main vents, insulation or not the main venting will start helping right away. If it was my house I would put both Gorton #1 vents on the short main and put a big mouth on the long main. You might need more on the short, but this would still be a major improvement over what you have. Obviously the person you had work on it doesn't understand the basics of main venting.

Boiler sizing seems to be fine in my opinion, but I'm thinking you may get varying opinions on this.

Near boiler piping, well its accepted industry standard it shouldn't be copper, well that is among those who actually care to do a proper job. What size copper did he use? If it isn't the proper size then not only is it copper, but it's wrong. In reality those mains are supposed to come down into the boiler header individually not joined as they are. What you have can make balancing a little more difficult.

As far as having it changed, that's up to you and your finances we can't really make that decision for you. If it was me I would, but you are talking about probably 50% (this is a WAG) of what you paid already to pay again for a fix. Where are you located? We may know someone competent in your area that can work on it, because from everything you wrote you haven't gotten someone competent yet.

I'd get the solution out of there. The skimming takes care of oils, if they did that correctly there is no need for any cleaning solutions. I'm assuming either they didn't skim properly, or they have zero confidence in their work, either way don't invite them back.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    KK85
  • KK85
    Thank you both for the reply.

Jamie Hall- All the windows in the house were replaced last year. I am sure the attic could use more insulation, do you think that would help?
    KC_Jones- He used 2" copper pipe, however he didn't reduce the equalizer to 1.5". I live in northern NJ.
  • Jamie Hall
    Attic insulation might help. Particularly additional insulation in the floor over your son's room. Is there wall insulation? And when the new windows were put in -- I assume they were at least double glazed (which is as good as -- but not better -- than a good single pane double hung with storm windows) and properly sealed? The key indicator is that the room gets up to temperature -- but then cools quickly. That indicates a lot of heat loss from the room, rather than a lack of heating capacity.

There are a number of folks here on the Wall who work in northern New Jersey. Try "find a contractor" and go by State..
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • I too would rectify the main venting by installing a Big Mouth on each main.
    Next I would drain the boiler, and refill, followed by a long skim to remove any remaining oil, or flux.
    In preparation for the pipe insulation, use a good level, and check all the pipes for slope, putting tape with an arrow indicating the slope, (sometimes the arrows will point to each other indicating a low spot, capable of hammering. If money is tight, then 4 of inches of paper, or foil backed insulation will be a good deal better than nothing. When you tape it in place, it will compress its thickness down.
    Next look at the thermostat, and verify that it is setup for steam, and in an area not to effected by either cold drafts, or large hot radiators. The Honeywell VisionPro can have a remote sensor which you could put in an area with greater heatloss, so it will react more quickly to falling temperatures.
    Next put some more insulation in the attic to protect that closer room from the cold.—NBC
    KK85
  • KK85
    The windows were replaced with double panel double panel. I don't feel any cold draft coming from around the windows. Not sure about wall insulation, I can cut an opening in the wall or check around outlets to see if there is any insulation.

The thermostat (Nest 3) is set up for radiant heat, I have the nest sensors in different rooms and thats how control the heat. The thermostat isn't ideal, its in the living room directly above the boiler. After reading on this site I am noticing that a lot people don't like nest for steam.

I will defiantly be adding attic insulation and upgrading my main vents. I am debating if I should put both Gorton's #1 on the short main or if I should just use one Big Mouth on each main.

I will drain the boiler, refill and skim it. But to be honest every time I add water it freaks me out, since cold water goes directly into the boiler. Is the cold water feed piped correctly? can I continue to use it the way it is?
  • KC_Jones
    You don't need to drain the boiler to skim, in fact you really don't want to.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • KK85
    I thought I should drain it to get the cleaning solution out?
    kcopp
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It doesn't look like the water feed goes directly into the boiler. It should be fine as it enters below the boiler water line and would be tempered by the boiler water.
    - That skim port should not have been reduced. He should have put a full port Ball valve on there. That reducer will likely cause oils to dam up at that reduction point.
    - Keep in mind you have two mains, one is half the length of the other. That means you want venting that gets steam to the end of each at about the same time. I would put a Gorton #2 on the shorter main and a Big Mouth on the longer one, or I would do as KC suggested; use both Gorton #1's on the shorter main. That will save you a few bucks as two Gorton #1's have about the same venting capacity as a Gorton #2.
    - The fact he didn't reduce the equalizer is ok but I'm not crazy about the way he piped the boiler or the copper on any piping above the boiler water line.
  • KK85
    Thanks Fred, thats a relief to hear that about the cold water. Every time I added water I held my breath thinking that I would crack the boiler. last time I drain water from the boiler the LWCO went on and I waited till the following morning to add fresh water in fear of adding cold water to a hot boiler.

I will add a big mouth the longer main and add the two Gorton #1 to the short main, since the Gorton's are less than a month old.

Can you guys let me know if the boiler is sized correctly please? I have 8 radiators identical to the one in the picture, except for the numbers of section in each radiator. The total number of sections is 131.
    Thanks
  • Jamie Hall
    On the Nest. It's not really bad for steam, except for being wild overkill and not really the right control. See if there is a way to set it up for Steam (I don't have the manual, as I wouldn't have one if you paid me for it). In any event, disable the learning feature and automatic setbacks and all that sort of thing, and leave it set for one temperature. If there is a way to set it for a specific setback, and you want to do that, you can use one setback in the evening, preferably not more than 3 degrees. Steam really doesn't like setbacks.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    KK85
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    As far as the main concern in the topic of the thread. It’s an insulation issue. If the room gets to setpoint, but drops faster than the other rooms it’s infiltration, and insulation issue.

I would track to see if windy days seem to be worse than calm days. Especially being on the north side .

It is also possible that radiator isn’t getting the full output the others are by the end of the heat call. Leaving less residual heat to bleed off in that room. The proper venting should help that.
    KK85kcopp
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,038
    Did you have a home inspector look at the house before you moved in?
    The asbestos removal was most likely not done by a professional company.
    KK85
  • KK85
    Yes I did have a home inspection done, the inspector did not mention it. When I asked the service tech if he thought it was asbestos he didn’t think it was, he thought it was pipe waste. To be honest I never heard of pipe waste. Is there anyway to test it? And if I cover it with fiberglass insulation do I need to get it removed before I install the insulation?

I attached close up pics.
    Thank you.
  • Jamie Hall
    There is a possibility that it isn't asbestos -- there are new insulation glops which look like that. I wouldn't count on it.

No, you don't have to remove it before you put the fiberglass on, but I would suggest that you encapsulate it. The plaster impregnated gauze tapes which some hobbyests use for scenery -- and surgeons use for plaster casts -- works just fine for that purpose.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • KK85
    > @Jamie Hall said:
    > There is a possibility that it isn't asbestos -- there are new insulation glops which look like that. I wouldn't count on it.
    >
    > No, you don't have to remove it before you put the fiberglass on, but I would suggest that you encapsulate it. The plaster impregnated gauze tapes which some hobbyests use for scenery -- and surgeons use for plaster casts -- works just fine for that purpose.

What do you mean by encapsulate it? I was thinking of buying the 1-1/2” fiberglass insulation that comes with the white paper on the outside and then use the PVC elbow and T covers with fiberglass! Would that work? Or is encapsulating it a different process?
  • KK85
    I just installed the Big Mouth( it’s beautiful). So at the moment I have the Big Mouth on the long main and one Gorton #1 on the short main. I am wowed by the result and it’s only 20 since the install.

I would say the longer main heats up at least six minutes faster than it did with the Gorton #1 and my son’s room radiators start to warm 4 minutes after the rest of the radiators, it used to be 10 minutes after the rest of the radiators.

I know you guys recommended install both Gorton #1 on the shorter main. Should I still do that even though it heats up 2 minutes faster than the long main? Or should install it next to the Big Mouth and hopefuls both mains will heat up fully at the same time?

In regards to what looks like asbestos, I appreciate any feedback. Should I call a company to test it? It might have been missed by the home inspector, since it’s not mentioned in his report.

Thank you, I am truly greatful for all the guidance.
  • ImYoungxD
    ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
    I would keep 2 gordons on short and 1 BM on long vent. You don't want your radiators doing the main venting.

As for asbestos testing, there are some labs that you can submit your sample to and it is a lot cheaper than getting a company over to your home. Here are some websites.

https://www.asbestostesting.com/
    https://www.emsl.com/Services.aspx?action=list&TopServiceCategoryID=3&ServiceCategoryID=171
    http://www.asbestostestinglab.com/

Or you can google it and look them up.
    KK85
  • KC_Jones
    KK85 said:

I just installed the Big Mouth( it’s beautiful). So at the moment I have the Big Mouth on the long main and one Gorton #1 on the short main. I am wowed by the result and it’s only 20 since the install.

I would say the longer main heats up at least six minutes faster than it did with the Gorton #1 and my son’s room radiators start to warm 4 minutes after the rest of the radiators, it used to be 10 minutes after the rest of the radiators.

I know you guys recommended install both Gorton #1 on the shorter main. Should I still do that even though it heats up 2 minutes faster than the long main? Or should install it next to the Big Mouth and hopefuls both mains will heat up fully at the same time?

In regards to what looks like asbestos, I appreciate any feedback. Should I call a company to test it? It might have been missed by the home inspector, since it’s not mentioned in his report.

Thank you, I am truly greatful for all the guidance.

I really enjoy hearing the positive results people get. It really is amazing how a relatively minor change like that can make all the difference.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • KC_Jones
    KK85 said:

Sorry for any confusion my comment made. Yes the chemicals should come out, but I would try skimming first. When you drain the boiler the oils will tend to stick to the side and you could have to wait some amount of time to get them back onto the surface of the water to be able to skim.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Jamie Hall
    On encapsulating asbestos. No, just wrapping fiberglass over it won't do. The plaster gauze tape material gets soaked (well, good and wet anyway) and then wrapped tightly over the material you want to encapsulate, completely enclosing it. When the plaster sets (it's pretty quick) it's hard and a tight, adhering seal. Then you could put insulation over that. But the insulation won't seal the asbestos in.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • KK85

On encapsulating asbestos. No, just wrapping fiberglass over it won't do. The plaster gauze tape material gets soaked (well, good and wet anyway) and then wrapped tightly over the material you want to encapsulate, completely enclosing it. When the plaster sets (it's pretty quick) it's hard and a tight, adhering seal. Then you could put insulation over that. But the insulation won't seal the asbestos in.

Thanks Jamie Hall, do you mean something like this?
    https://www.michaels.com/cricut/10443607.html#q=plaster&start=7
  • KK85
    KC_Jones said:

KK85 said:

Sorry for any confusion my comment made. Yes the chemicals should come out, but I would try skimming first. When you drain the boiler the oils will tend to stick to the side and you could have to wait some amount of time to get them back onto the surface of the water to be able to skim.
    Thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense, I will be sure to do that this weekend. I am guessing I should let the boiler cool down after draining and before refilling?
  • KK85
    ImYoungxD said:

I would keep 2 gordons on short and 1 BM on long vent. You don't want your radiators doing the main venting.

As for asbestos testing, there are some labs that you can submit your sample to and it is a lot cheaper than getting a company over to your home. Here are some websites.

https://www.emsl.com/Services.aspx?action=list&TopServiceCategoryID=3&ServiceCategoryID=171

Thanks for the recommendation i will definitely look into them. Do you think I should be adding more main venting to long main so they both will heat up at the same time or is 2 minutes difference not a big deal? unless the 2 minutes difference will increase with the increased main venting on the shorter main!
  • ImYoungxD
    ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
    KK85 said:

ImYoungxD said:

Thanks for the recommendation i will definitely look into them. Do you think I should be adding more main venting to long main so they both will heat up at the same time or is 2 minutes difference not a big deal? unless the 2 minutes difference will increase with the increased main venting on the shorter main!
    1 BM is enough for 50' of main and you have 36'. If you want to heat them evenly, you can try 1 gordon on the short, bm and gordon on the long main. See how that heats up. I don't think you need another BM for the short.
  • KK85
    Update:
    I added a nest sensor to the guest room, riser comes from the same main pipe as my son room. Here is the room temps after installing the big mouth:

Son room 66, faces north, long main pipe. 2 radiators with Gorton C. 15 section each.
    Guests rm 66, faces north, long main pipe. 1 radiator 28 section, Gorton C.
    Master rm 70, faces south, short main pipe. Directly above master rm. 1 Radiator 30 section with Gorton #6
    Living rm 72, faces south, short main pipe. Directly above boiler.
    Thermostat is located in this room. 2 Radiators 14 each, the one closer to the thermostat have gorton #6 and the one farther (~8ft between the two radiators) have Gorton #4.

Basically the south side of the house (supplied by short main) is warmer than the northern side (supplied by longer main)
    Do you guys think this is a balancing issue or should I start looking at insulation?

Thank you.
  • KC_Jones
    You should have smaller vents on the rads that are in the warmer rooms, most especially on the room with the thermostat. That can make a big difference. Put a number 4 on that rad with the #6 and see what happens for a few days.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Jamie Hall
    KK85 said:

Thanks Jamie Hall, do you mean something like this?
    https://www.michaels.com/cricut/10443607.html#q=plaster&start=7
    Exactly.

As to the imbalance between sides of the house -- very hard to correct, and will change with sun and wind loads. If the radiators are getting heat at more or less the same time, that's about what you will be able to do.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    What about putting a vent on the top of the riser that feeds to cool rooms to nudge the steam to them faster. I think I read that they receive steam +/- 4 min after the rest of the rads.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,553
    I run TRVs on 5 out of 10 radiators.

The system is fairly balanced without them but the TRVs allow it to compensate for conditions like the sun, wind, the oven going etc.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KK85

What about putting a vent on the top of the riser that feeds to cool rooms to nudge the steam to them faster. I think I read that they receive steam +/- 4 min after the rest of the rads.

I am not sure if I can the top of the risers, unless you meant the highest point in the basement before they go inside the walls? I am going to switch the vents in the warm rooms from Gorton 6 to Gorton 4 and see how would that balance the system. I guess I could put Gorton Ds instead of the Gorton Cs in the colder rooms.
  • KK85
    ChrisJ said:

I run TRVs on 5 out of 10 radiators.

The system is fairly balanced without them but the TRVs allow it to compensate for conditions like the sun, wind, the oven going etc.

Would you put them in the hotter rooms? I need to look for something that doesn’t stick out too much, maybe something angled? Please let me know if you have any recommendations!

I have recessed radiators and I think if the TRVs stick out to much they can become a hazard as people (my son) will pump into them. Thanks
  • What is behind the cover of that radiator. I would think there is some clearance for a vent inside.—NBC
  • KK85

What is behind the cover of that radiator. I would think there is some clearance for a vent inside.—NBC

Do you mean for adding a second vent or for installing the TRV? This is one of the TRVs that I am starting to look at https://www.tunstall-inc.com/macon-controls/one-pipe-steam/ these things are not cheap, so I am hoping that they won’t be needed, but if they are should Install them or the insulation first. Unfortunately I won’t have the funds to do everything at once.
  • I would invest in proper main venting and insulation first.
    Add a 0-3 psi gauge so you can see the pressure during the venting phase as the air is being pushed out. I feel the calculations of pipe size, and length are only the beginning of vent selection. The Big Mouth vent is a game changer as it has a lot more capacity than the Gorton 2, for the same price. It’s orifice is also much bigger, reducing the possibility of debris plugging it up. It does have no float, so pressures must be kept to the minimum, so the water level in the wet returns does not rise to the level of the vent, and leak out.
    You may even have to reduce the venting on some radiators afterwards so they all heat up simultaneously.—NBC
    Gsmith
  • ChrisJ
    > @nicholas bonham-carter said:
    > What is behind the cover of that radiator. I would think there is some clearance for a vent inside.—NBC

That's the radiator....
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    > @KK85 said:
    > What is behind the cover of that radiator. I would think there is some clearance for a vent inside.—NBC
    >
    > Do you mean for adding a second vent or for installing the TRV? This is one of the TRVs that I am starting to look at https://www.tunstall-inc.com/macon-controls/one-pipe-steam/ these things are not cheap, so I am hoping that they won’t be needed, but if they are should Install them or the insulation first. Unfortunately I won’t have the funds to do everything at once.

You can use an elbow with them on your setup.

First I would insulate and slow some radiators down. Two of mine had Gorton 4s on them before my TRVs and even with with TRV I only went up to a 5.
  • ChrisJ
    TRVs won't make an imbalanced system balanced. They make a balanced system better.
    KC_Jones
  • KK85
    I will be going to the plumbing store today to get a Gorton #4 for the thermostat room which is about 4-5 hotter than the rest of the rooms. Master bedroom have a Gorton #6 and is about 3 degrees hotter than the rest of the rooms too. Should I reduce it to a Gorton 4 or possibly 5 OR should I get an adjustable vent?
    Thanks.

Insulation is definitely on my to do list (soon), however there is few issues with the longer main that need to addressed first. I think there is a sag in the middle, I need to measure the slope and figure away how to get rid of the sag. There is a small Leak at a Tee in the middle of the same line (it happened when my pressure wasn’t set correctly) now a drop of cold water comes out of it (I don’t see the drop every time I am in the basement). Should I start a new discussion for the leak in the main?
  • KK85
    edited November 2018

I would invest in proper main venting and insulation first.
    Add a 0-3 psi gauge so you can see the pressure during the venting phase as the air is being pushed out. I feel the calculations of pipe size, and length are only the beginning of vent selection. The Big Mouth vent is a game changer as it has a lot more capacity than the Gorton 2, for the same price. It’s orifice is also much bigger, reducing the possibility of debris plugging it up. It does have no float, so pressures must be kept to the minimum, so the water level in the wet returns does not rise to the level of the vent, and leak out.
    You may even have to reduce the venting on some radiators afterwards so they all heat up simultaneously.—NBC

I will see if the local plumbing supply store have the 1-3 psi gauge in stock. In regards to insulation you think 1” is sufficiente or it should be thicker in NBP. Thanks for the info.