Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Temp too high even after service man replaced SEVERAL PARTS

ciapoce
ciapoce Member Posts: 8
Original problem was that my boiler was running a little high and making some banging noises. So lines were bled, aqua stat replaced. works fine for a bit, then when i check temp again its getting to high again. Guy comes back replaces relay. "says that should do the trick" come how a few hours later and my pressure relief valve went off and came into a puddle on my floor. Then comes try three he replaces Expansion tank Expansion valve, Hi Vent, Temp/ Pressure Gauge, Pressure reducing valve. Works for a few hours. I'm sitting on the couch, hear a sound. ITs the pressure relieve valve letting steam out, check temp gauge it reads 270!!!! what the heck is going on? does this guy know what hes doing?

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    No he doesn't. Find someone else. Soon! Possible the boiler safeties are not working with your system. For sure the control system is amiss.
    SuperTechGBart
  • ciapoce
    DZoro said:

No he doesn't. Find someone else. Soon! Possible the boiler safeties are not working with your system. For sure the control system is amiss.

OH god i had a feeling he might not.

SuperTech
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Call the company back ask for the service manager and request a tech that knows what there doing. Also credit for all the parts and labor wasted.
    delta TGBart
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    Expansion valve?

I question this fella's troubleshooting. It's always best to watch a boiler go through its complete cycle to the high limit and monitor pressure and temperature. If it's getting too hot I'd check the aquastat first.
  • ciapoce
    SuperTech said:

Expansion valve?

I question this fella's troubleshooting. It's always best to watch a boiler go through its complete cycle to the high limit and monitor pressure and temperature. If it's getting too hot I'd check the aquastat first.

Aquastat was the first thing he replaced
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    > @ciapoce said:
    > Expansion valve?
    >
    >
    >
    > I question this fella's troubleshooting. It's always best to watch a boiler go through its complete cycle to the high limit and monitor pressure and temperature. If it's getting too hot I'd check the aquastat first.
    >
    > Aquastat was the first thing he replaced

Maybe it's set up wrong? I want to know the outcome of this situation.
  • ciapoce
    SuperTech said:

> @ciapoce said:

> Expansion valve?

>

>

>

> I question this fella's troubleshooting. It's always best to watch a boiler go through its complete cycle to the high limit and monitor pressure and temperature. If it's getting too hot I'd check the aquastat first.

>

I'll be sure to update if/when i ever can get it fixed.
  • ciapoce
    ciapoce said:

Original problem was that my boiler was running a little high and making some banging noises. So lines were bled, aqua stat replaced. works fine for a bit, then when i check temp again its getting to high again. Guy comes back replaces relay. "says that should do the trick" come how a few hours later and my pressure relief valve went off and came into a puddle on my floor. Then comes try three he replaces Expansion tank Expansion valve, Hi Vent, Temp/ Pressure Gauge, Pressure reducing valve. Works for a few hours. I'm sitting on the couch, hear a sound. ITs the pressure relieve valve letting steam out, check temp gauge it reads 270!!!! what the heck is going on? does this guy know what hes doing?

I should also mention my house is radiant heating if that makes any difference.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    Expansion valve? Will someone kindly enlighten me as to what an expansion valve is and does on a hot water heat system?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    DZorokcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    What type of boiler? When a boiler fills with sludge, they can often overshoot their temperature setting. the noise indicates possible sludge?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    STEVEusaPA
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Can you post pictures?
    There should be a manual reset high limit in place for your safety. I would speculate that you have a combination of problems. Perhaps an incorrectly wired aquastat and a circulator that is cutting out when it should be running?
    Your system is not safe to operate. It should be turned off until a qualified technician can resolve this.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • ciapoce
    hot rod said:

What type of boiler? When a boiler fills with sludge, they can often overshoot their temperature setting. the noise indicates possible sludge?

New Yorker, Model CG40BNC-TE2 roughly 14yrs old
  • ciapoce
    Zman said:

Can you post pictures?
    There should be a manual reset high limit in place for your safety. I would speculate that you have a combination of problems. Perhaps an incorrectly wired aquastat and a circulator that is cutting out when it should be running?
    Your system is not safe to operate. It should be turned off until a qualified technician can resolve this.</blockquote

It has been shut off. I will post pictures when i get home from work tonight

GBart
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Sounds like something may be wired wrong or the immersion bulb is not in the socket at all.

PLEASE DO NOT RUN THIS BOILER UNTIL YOU GET IT CHECKED OUT, BOILERS THAT RUN TOWARDS 300 DEGREES AND MAKE NOISES ARE WHAT WE CALL A TICKING BOMB, THIS COULD LEVEL YOUR HOME..........TURN IT OFF AND CALL SOMEONE ELSE IF THEY DO NOT RESPOND QUICKLY
  • ciapoce
    SuperTech said:

> @ciapoce said:

> Expansion valve?

>

>

>

>

My limited understanding is that the aqua stat is supposed to stop the boiler when the temp inside hits the number that it is set for. Is there any other mechanism to control the internal temp?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Yes, @ciapoce, be a little cautious with this until you find out what is going on. I would shut it off when you go to bed, keep an eye on it . "run it manually" and have it looked at asap
  • woodrow
    woodrow Member Posts: 40
    does this have a boiler mate wired into the aqua stat
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    What could cause a boiler to over fire? I can think of 3 things. A faulty aquastat, an aquastat set incorrectly, or a stuck gas valve.

Look at the gas valve.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If a gas valve stuck open, it would stay open and always overheat. Powering down would not stop it.
    Only shutting off the gas valve.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    edited October 2018
    Ya. true, but a thought. You could always pull the 24 V feed to the gas valve as the temperature rises above hi limit and see what happens. The burners should go out and there shouldn't be 24 V on the disconnected wire.
  • woodrow
    woodrow Member Posts: 40
    did he change the sensor or just the aqua stat did you check the resistance comming from the sensor there should be a chart in the instructions telling you a ohms to temp chart