Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"The top of my water heater is bulging."

Can't imagine why.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• 1Matthias
    1Matthias Member Posts: 148
    Can't fix stupid...but you can put a hole in the roof of stupid's house.
    Jean-David BeyerHomerJSmith
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited October 2018
    That thing was dripping, so I went down the Home Depot and asked the guy there what I needed as I showed him a picture of that gold colored thingie. He gave me this nice silver pipe and this silver cap and some white tape stuff. He said it needed to be the silver pipe as it was for water.

So I watched a YouTube video and screwed it all up together! Now it's making weird noises, and the pipes look different.....
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    HomerJSmith
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Grab the dog and run like hell!

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Jean-David Beyer
  • I love the angle of the relief valve. It's like its leaning back, laughing its **** off. Either that or its reeling in pain.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    ratioCLambSuperTech
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    It’s surprising that relief valve manufacturers haven’t come up with a redundant relief path in the valve for the you can’t fix stupid population.
    BenDplumberMike
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    Another explosion waiting to happen. @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes " I love the angle of the relief valve. It's like its leaning back, laughing its **** off. Either that or its reeling in pain"

I vote for reeling in pain....love it
    SuperTech
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,289
    Hello @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes , Looks a little like thermal expansion. But, what happened? Did the homeowner think fixing it was too expensive, or???? :o

Yours, Larry
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Mr. DIY strikes again
    SlamDunk
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    having a t &p valve on top seems dangerous. If it wasnt plumbed to the floor, it would blast you in the face.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    SlamDunk said:

having a t &p valve on top seems dangerous. If it wasnt plumbed to the floor, it would blast you in the face.

Maybe that's why they put the cap on it?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_ManSuperTechdelta T
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Funny, just got the parts to install the relief valve on my build, which of the pics would be best to copy?
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 267
    That's a 150 pound relief valve. Obviously it's wrong🤔
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,667
    Gordy said:

It’s surprising that relief valve manufacturers haven’t come up with a redundant relief path in the valve for the you can’t fix stupid population.

You want manufacturers, to come up with a way to make a device work, even if someone blocks said device?

The problem is, even something like a plug that will burst isn't activated by temperature. That, and it's likely to have failures.

I have to disagree on this one. It's not up to manufacturers to protect people from themselves in my opinion.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    CanuckerSuperTech
  • SlamDunk
    ChrisJ said:

Gordy said:

IIt's not up to manufacturers to protect people from themselves in my opinion.

That's what evolution is for
    ChrisJ
  • Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
    DIY stands for death invariably yours. I think if you want to take your life in your hands and only hurt yourself it is a personal choice. How about your family , nieghbors, who live with and around you? Do they have to be in the same funeral procession. All the best Jack
    SlamDunkCanuckerChrisJ
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Well, it cured the dripping water out of the brass thigamajig.
  • SlamDunk
    I’m Master Do it yourselfer.

If you ever changed your car’s oil or brakes without asme certification, youre a DIYer too.

If you have ever built shelves and you’re not a carpenter, youre a DIYer.

If you have evere washed your car when could have taken it to a car wash, youre a DIYer

It would be wrong to say people who do things on their own for financial reasons or as a means of passing time, like a hobby, are all dangerous.

I’ll dare say that all certified pro’s had high technical aptitudes as youngsters before they went pro and were DIYers before they went pro.

Now, I’m going to say something the pro’s on this board will find offensive.....

when I go to home depot, i park in the “Pro” parking spaces!

Brewbeer
  • HomerJSmith
    I thought DIY was Dumb In Yonkers.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,624
    I'm afraid I have an amateur standing in a lot of what I do when I'm not at work, which is a whole lot of time. Fortunately, between a greater than average share of competence and a firm knowledge of my limits, my safe & successful rate is well above mean.
  • nibs
    Amen for the dot it yourselfers, and thank you for all the folks on this board ready to help educate us.
    Canucker
  • HomerJSmith
    edited October 2018
    SlamDunk, a "Master Do it yourselfer", you say! You're scaring me and it's not even Halloween.

My reputation is built on the mistakes I made. hmmm. That sounded better before I wrote it.
    SlamDunk
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,624
    I think you something there, @HomerJSmith. :smiley:
  • nibs
    Homer, you should thank DIY'ers for giving you work to fix their misteaks, and for giving you the opportunity to shout "look at what that fool done done".
  • SlamDunk
    edited October 2018
    nibs said:

Homer, you should thank DIY'ers for giving you work to fix their misteaks, and for giving you the opportunity to shout "look at what that fool done done".

It’s “done did”.

Sorry. I live in the south and

• Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited October 2018
    Don't know what the fuss is , only makes a 2 ft hole in floor. Little plywood from a road sign , no problem.

Start at 13 seconds if your feeling lucky.
    Good slow motion at 1:07

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hot+water+heater+bloing+up&view=detail&mid=596D9F62E89D5723E24D596D9F62E89D5723E24D&FORM=VIRE

More powerful one
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Exploding+Hot+Water+Tank&&view=detail&mid=619C81C2DE9B38BDBC3B619C81C2DE9B38BDBC3B&&FORM=VRDGAR
    CLamb
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    In the late 70's the Watts film was shown at a trade show, additional commentary included a quote from several plumbers that "water heaters seldom explode anymore, why do we still need to install those T&P valves?? Watts is just trying to sell their products"
    At that time T&P's did not come with the water heater, you had to purchase them separately....unlike today....where they are preinstalled in the tank.

I have seen a lot of tanks from 50-60's with only adjustable pressure only valves installed. Why? maybe less money.

At the same trade show there was a plumber with his trademark/logo hat that included: "We can repair anything that your husband just "fixed"."
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,667
    edited October 2018
    JUGHNE said:

In the late 70's the Watts film was shown at a trade show, additional commentary included a quote from several plumbers that "water heaters seldom explode anymore, why do we still need to install those T&P valves?? Watts is just trying to sell their products"
    At that time T&P's did not come with the water heater, you had to purchase them separately....unlike today....where they are preinstalled in the tank.

I have seen a lot of tanks from 50-60's with only adjustable pressure only valves installed. Why? maybe less money.

At the same trade show there was a plumber with his trademark/logo hat that included: "We can repair anything that your husband just "fixed"."

The house I grew up in the 80s had a water heater with a pressure only relief installed in a tee in the pipe. I think it was installed in the 1970s.

Later, when my father (who was a carpenter) replaced it. the new one of course came with a T&P installed in the tank. He, a DIYer, hard piped the entire heater with copper and nice sweated joints. The gas line was of course threaded black iron.

Funny enough I've seen plenty of licensed contractors use pex, pro press, shark bites, that horrible flexible copper garbage etc. This isn't to say that pex, or pro press is bad, but it's certainly easier than sweating joints.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good professionals out there. But don't trash talk a DIYer just because "they're not a professional" Just because someone's a professional doesn't make them good and vice versa.

Let's keep in mind, 99% of the improperly piped boilers we see posted on here were done by licensed professionals. Improper steam piping, improper gas piping, horizontal pressure reliefs, it goes on and on.

Then, the poor homeowner comes on here asking for help because the pro said "It's normal for steam to bang" "it's normal for the LWCO to trip every time the boiler fires" "Steam is imbalanced, it's just the way it is".

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    GroundUp
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Tick tick tick!!!

Turn it off now and replace

Tick tick tick
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    If professional contractors would show these videos to home owners When they are installing the new water heater I would think they could sell yearly maintenance contracts to come back and inspect the water heater they just installed.
    For tank type water heaters Inspect for leaks, check relief valve, Check venting and every other year pull anode rod and inspect it. Replacing anode rod will extend life of tank type water heater.
    If installing tankless gas water heaters inspect for leaks, Check relief valve, check venting and flush the heat exchanger.
    Safety inspections are priceless!

If more home owners saw these videos. I would think they would not want to install their own water heaters.

Most people only think of their water heater is when they do not have hot water. The water heater sits in their basement for months and some times years before anyone looks at it.
  • SlamDunk
    Everyone has a threshold they would not cross and will call a pro.
    Smart people know where it is.
    I wouldn't hesitate to install a hot water heater in my house-and I have.
    But I wouldn't install one in my neighbor's house. It wouldn't matter if it was a perfect installation. If something failed, or there was a lack of attention for five years, I could be sucked in to an inquiry I would not want to deal with. At best, it would damage my reputation; At worse, I would be sued.
  • SlamDunk
    This discussion reminds me of something I read in the Reader's Digest decades ago on how to define the fiscal class of a person.
    It may also explain the existence of do it yourselfers'

Speaking fiscally:

A lower class person paints other peoples homes for a living, doesn't own a house and lives paycheck to pay check.

A middle class person paints his own house and tries to save a little money wherever possible.

An upper class person owns a house, pays other people to paint it because they can afford a painter.

This DIYer, is solid in the middle class!
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Retired and loving it.