Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

large residential oil furnace needed

zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
We are looking at a job which is a complete system replacement, the house has a 200 mbh 1972 oil furnace, and five tons of ac. The house is about 5,000 ft. 2 and I am sure if it was built today they would have had two systems. While the furnace may have been too large from day one, the issue is I can't seem to find anything close to the size of this made now. I am seeing most furnaces topping out at around 132 mbh. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks to all.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Twins
    STEVEusaPA
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    The Weil-McClain 380 comes in at 209 net MBtuH for steam. The n80 series goes up from there. Cedric is a 580 firing at 2.75 gallons per hour, for instance. Check your EDR, though!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    HVACNUT said:

Twins

Properly sized/installed

steve
    GBart
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Heat loss calculation is needed.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    GBart
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226

The Weil-McClain 380 comes in at 209 net MBtuH for steam. The n80 series goes up from there. Cedric is a 580 firing at 2.75 gallons per hour, for instance. Check your EDR, though!

Isn't the poster asking about forced air?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    CanuckerGBart
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    JohnNY said:

Isn't the poster asking about forced air?
    Stupid assumption on my part. Maybe he is; not clear. Where's my coffee?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    HVACNUTCanucker
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    Thanks to all for responding. Yes this is a forced air furnace with five tons of central ac
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Time for a good heat calc. Probably 2 furnaces, maybe good time to zone 2nd story (if you have)for dual furnace & a/c systems
    GBart
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 792
    Adams manufacturing in Cleveland makes them up to 1,000,000 btu.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    As stated above it is 2018, you have to do a heat load calc, you can't pull a permit without, THEN you pick the equipment, I wouldn't be surprised if your actual load was @ 125,000btu/hr.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    I echo the above. Please do a heat load calculation for your own education.

Slantfin has an app. It is tedious but worthwhile.

I had an oil company contractor walk in and quote a 225,000 BTUH, input, oil furnace when a 112,000 BTUH, input, would do. Think of all the oil we would have had to buy for that beast for years and years!
    GBart
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    edited October 2018
    What is sad is that today many times contractors do have a load calc to give the inspector and they do miraculously match the output of the unit but they are a complete FRAUD.

Or the contractor tells the supply house "yeah its like a 30 x 45 house with a um 8ft ceiling and 2 bedrooms, I think the side walls are 20, yeah" and they design build off that