Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

large residential oil furnace needed

zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 359
We are looking at a job which is a complete system replacement, the house has a 200 mbh 1972 oil furnace, and five tons of ac. The house is about 5,000 ft. 2 and I am sure if it was built today they would have had two systems. While the furnace may have been too large from day one, the issue is I can't seem to find anything close to the size of this made now. I am seeing most furnaces topping out at around 132 mbh. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks to all.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 4,871
    Twins
    STEVEusaPA
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 20,501
    The Weil-McClain 380 comes in at 209 net MBtuH for steam. The n80 series goes up from there. Cedric is a 580 firing at 2.75 gallons per hour, for instance. Check your EDR, though!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 5,983
    HVACNUT said:

Twins

Properly sized/installed

steve
    GBart
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,474
    Heat loss calculation is needed.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    GBart
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,057

The Weil-McClain 380 comes in at 209 net MBtuH for steam. The n80 series goes up from there. Cedric is a 580 firing at 2.75 gallons per hour, for instance. Check your EDR, though!

Isn't the poster asking about forced air?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting
    Plumbing in NYC or in NJ.
    Take his class.
    CanuckerGBart
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 20,501
    JohnNY said:

Isn't the poster asking about forced air?
    Stupid assumption on my part. Maybe he is; not clear. Where's my coffee?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    HVACNUTCanucker
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 359
    Thanks to all for responding. Yes this is a forced air furnace with five tons of central ac
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Time for a good heat calc. Probably 2 furnaces, maybe good time to zone 2nd story (if you have)for dual furnace & a/c systems
    GBart
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 737
    Adams manufacturing in Cleveland makes them up to 1,000,000 btu.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    As stated above it is 2018, you have to do a heat load calc, you can't pull a permit without, THEN you pick the equipment, I wouldn't be surprised if your actual load was @ 125,000btu/hr.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,368
    I echo the above. Please do a heat load calculation for your own education.

Slantfin has an app. It is tedious but worthwhile.

I had an oil company contractor walk in and quote a 225,000 BTUH, input, oil furnace when a 112,000 BTUH, input, would do. Think of all the oil we would have had to buy for that beast for years and years!
    GBart
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    edited October 2018
    What is sad is that today many times contractors do have a load calc to give the inspector and they do miraculously match the output of the unit but they are a complete FRAUD.

Or the contractor tells the supply house "yeah its like a 30 x 45 house with a um 8ft ceiling and 2 bedrooms, I think the side walls are 20, yeah" and they design build off that