Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gyroscopic Balance Gas Conversion Burner- Tim are you there??

Options
Adam_13
Adam_13 Member Posts: 49
Hey Tim this is Adam in New Britain, CT. Years ago you helped me with service manuals for the Gyroscopic Balance gas conversion burners by the Autogas corp. I always wanted to restore the boiler and burner, but I'm selling the house. Are you still interested in the burner?? I have everything except the hood for the smoke pipe. Even have the original t-stat. Message if you're interested, it'll need to be picked up in New Britain. Hope all's well-Adam

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Hi Adam thanks for thinking of me but no thanks. I am actually in the process of scaling back on equipment I have in the training center. By nature I love this old stuff but I tend to be a pack rat. So as my wife tells me behave yourself.
    GBart
  • Adam_13
    Options
    Aww too bad!! I understand though.
    Wishing all the best, -Adam
  • Adam_13
    Options

• Adam_13
    Options

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    is that control wiring laced?
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    What do you mean laced?
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    I see what you mean about lacing on the pipes in the pictures. I have seen this over the years did not know what it was called.
    mattmia2
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 905
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Many, many years ago a lot of the commercial or industrial jobs that I saw and serviced had control wiring laced with "waxed string". It looked great and made a beautiful job that everyone would be in awe of. Later, the waxed string was replaced with a spiral plastic covering probably due to the strings high cost to install. The string lacing reminded me of my time in the navy when almost every cold pipe such as hand rails and the like were wrapped with rope, string or whatever probably to give guys something to do and keep them "out of trouble". The problem came when someone had to change a control that was no longer made and the wiring had to be moved to adapt the new device. That is when the swearing began. Most of this lacing that I saw, if memory serves me right, was done on Auburn Gas, Metler and S T Johnson Rotary burners, utilizing Honeywell R478A or B primary controls but could have been done on other burners as well.
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    Lacing was common in complex low energy wiring like AV systems in to the 80's. We had a system that was built in 1985 and mostly untouched until it was replaced about 10 years ago that was all laced and all the installed non-video wiring was punched down to telephone style blocks then connected with jumpers from the block to the equipment in the rack.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    I'll take the lamp and shade.
    mattmia2