Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Velocity Boilerworks - Mega Stor II - Leaking New??

Options
Hi everyone, I am pulling my hair out...

Had a Velocity Boilerworks MS2-40 Megastor II installed and 11 days later, it started to leak... returned for a new one... second unit installed - worked perfect... for 11 more days... at which point... it sprung a leak.

Does anyone know anything about this company??

Serial numbers of the two units are 5 apart... defect in the production line?

Should have put in another Weil McClain!!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Where is it leaking from?
  • Greggor2
    Greggor2 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Good question. There is a plastic top and bottom that wrap over the outside metal jacket. It appears to be leaking from underneath the unit, as well as perking up over the top lip of the bottom plastic piece.

All joints, fittings, unions and TP valves are bone dry.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Sounds like you need to get the rep involved. In any case, they're going to start denying your claims if you don't.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It could be leaking from a weld and be a manufacturing defect on a production run.

You need to press the company tech people for an answer as they may not be forth coming with an answer, but they may be aware that it is a problem. It depends on the reputation of the company as to the course they take. Ask for a Rep to visit your install. Document everything with photos and get any opinions as to the cause in writing.

If you don't get any satisfaction, insist that the seller take the unit back and refund your money. Then buy one from another manufacturer. Don't expect them to pay the labor costs.
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    Options
    Velocity is/was Crown Boiler Co. I remember looking at this brand when I was considering a stainless steel indirect. They claim to use 444 grade stainless.
    Five units apart on the assembly line does sound suspect. Hope your installer followed the manual so there's no question about the installation.

Just curious, how long did the WM indirect last?
  • Greggor2
    Options
    This problem has only gotten more strange.

Again, all sweat joints, fittings and unions are bone dry.

After second unit leaked, unions were disconnected, tank drained, and then reconnected, filled, and then didn’t leak for 2-3 days... then it started leaking a little bit for a few days (it’s now sitting in a pan for safety), then it just opened up and leaked like crazy after about a week.

What the heck would cause a leak to vary in intensity. Thermal expansion I have to assume?

Have spoken with rep and he thinks my water quality is bad....? Almost impossible for me to imagine however that bad water (which we have been drinking for 3 years) is to blame...?

Working with vendor and rep... they are demanding water sample... but... again... seriously?
  • Greggor2
    Options
    Weil McClain lasted around 10 years I think? (Here before I moved in)
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    check the chloride levels in your water. i’ll bet the tank or manual has a range or limit for ph and chlorides. Warranty could be void if you water does not meet the spec
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Agree with the water quality, but 11 days.... No matter what the water quality, it should have lasted at least 14 days :).
    Let us know what you find!
    Good luck
    D
    kcopp
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    Options
    From the Mega Stor II manual.
    Not covered under warranty.. Any indirect‐fired water heater that has potable water with the following characteristics: chloride levels in excess of 80 PPM, measurable amounts of any compound containing chlorine, or PH less than 6.0 or greater than 8.0.
    Also not covered is operating the indirect above 150 degrees or 150 psi. And, using a water softener that isn't operating within mfg specs.

http://www.velocityboilerworks.com/documents/MegaStor_II_Manual.pdf

If any of the above apply to your situation you may be SOL for warranty by the book. Assuming domestic water pressure and temperature were within spec you may have a good argument with two failed units within a month.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2018
    Options
    "...they are demanding water sample..." I don't care how much chlorine is in your water, if it's drinkable, the tank shouldn't be leaking after 11 days.

I sounds to me that the vendor and rep is just trying to get out of replacing the unit or refunding your money by claiming the warranty is void, I hope not.

I like HTP ultra-stor tanks. I only had a problem with one and they stood behind it. Rattling of the heat exchanger.

Sometimes a letter from a lawyer can get things moving, if you reach an impasse. This is why I say, document everything in writing.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    After 11 days? You could probably fill it with bottles of bleach solution or and it should last several weeks. Clearly have an issue with their weld quality since the serial numbers are close together. That’s the only thing that could cause a failure that quickly. Basically after just a couple of heat cycles where the metal expands and contracts, the weld is breaking open. These might get welded with a robot or machine, so possible the settings were a little off somehow. But when they did QC testing, they passed a static pressure test, but when heated multiple times, they fail.