Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crazy? Or Genius?

brandonf
brandonf Member Posts: 205
Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci

Comments

• the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    Seems like it would lessen the heat output of the window radiator.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    whatever works
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    I particularly like the plug-connected Romex.
    SuperTech
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited March 2018
    Wow, wonder why he didn't hang some from the ceilings too? Maybe a future upgrade?
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    They need to be on wheels for thermal expansion. Those interconnections might see a little stress :wink:
    terry
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    I'll give him credit for installing radiators instead of "upgrading" to forced air.
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    I’ve watched some of his other videos. I will say that he is creative.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    He's (or a relative) is going to have a whole lot of fun trying to sell that house one day......................

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Erin Holohan HaskellCanuckerkcoppSuperTech
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    He seems like a glutton for punishment. Those big black pipe runs would’ve been a lot easier in 0.5” pex since he’s home running everything.
    He’s got black pipe and non O2 barrier pex mixed together.
    He must be trying to heat with 90f water with all those big radiators.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    If you read the comments he claims 150 degree water at design of -20. Even with that temp differential it seems like way too much radiation.

I did a quick calculation on the pair of rads he has around the window and at 150 water he is getting north of 14k BTU from those monsters. I can't imagine that room ever needing that. He claims to have done the room by room heatloss, but I think he moved a decimal or carried too many ones because what I am seeing makes no sense.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    KC_Jones said:

If you read the comments he claims 150 degree water at design of -20. Even with that temp differential it seems like way too much radiation.

I did a quick calculation on the pair of rads he has around the window and at 150 water he is getting north of 14k BTU from those monsters. I can't imagine that room ever needing that. He claims to have done the room by room heatloss, but I think he moved a decimal or carried too many ones because what I am seeing makes no sense.

He’s Upsizing from open windows. Open doors, walls, and ceilings.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Didn't read all the comments but I will say that corner radiator is a steam only radiator. So at least it will act as a nice big expansion tank until it becomes waterlogged
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    They may be connected but they won't heat much
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    I have this corner rad installed in my shop. I was surprised how well the entire radiator heats up with just bottom connections, auto air vent up high.

It has a conversion valve, with a pex shoved around the inside to the opposite end. S&R at one end.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Charlie from wmass
    @Hotrod at least yours is attached along the top.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    nice looking radiator
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018

@Hotrod at least yours is attached along the top.

It looks like the corner one in the video is connected across the top?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Charlie from wmass
    not to my eyes but I could be wrong. I don't see a plug on the ends at the top

cell # 413-841-6726
  • Answerman
    Answerman Member Posts: 21
    Someone tell me if I'm way off here, but I believe bright white and shiny silver are the worst possible colors if you're trying to maximize radiation.. Perhaps it doesn't make a big difference at such low supply water temperatures, or there's enough heat transfer from convection that it's a moot point. But I thought the whole reason people started painting radiators silver was in order to effectively downsize them?

I'm way too lazy to do the math, but I wonder how much these radiators could be downsized if they were all painted black. I imagine it would amount to at least a couple radiator sections, but maybe I'm thinking of steam systems where the higher temperature results in a lot more radiation..
    Energy & Sustainability Engineer
  • Charlie from wmass
    white is fine. silver or any metallic is restrictive

cell # 413-841-6726
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Color doesn't have nearly as much impact on radiators. Gloss/metalic and shiny finishes have a greater affect.
  • 1Matthias
    1Matthias Member Posts: 148
    @Charlie from wmass Looks like it is connected on the top. I've seen a couple regular radiators with top pipes but no plugs around here, probably a push connector type. Don't have EDR the Book yet, so unsure as to the exact type or output.